Haskell_Hunter

One benefit of the extreme cold: reduction of the emerald ash borer

One benefit of the extreme cold: reduction of the emerald ash borer

This week’s intense cold will have additional victims, but welcome ones—the emerald ash borer, an invasive beetle that has killed an estimated 100 million ash trees in the United States since it was discovered in 2002 in Michigan. Cold weather kills emerald ash borer, with a mortality rate of about 5 percent when temperatures reach 0°F, 34 percent at -10°F, 79 percent at -20°F, and an impressive 98 percent at -30°F.

Most of the Midwest suffers from serious infestations of the insect, and this week’s cold blast can be expected to cause a significant reduction in their numbers. According to an email from emerald ash borer researcher Brian Aukema of the University of Minnesota, “because of insulating properties of bark the cold will set populations back but won't eradicate the pests."

From the larger article about weather:  https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Five-Things-Stand-Out-Weeks-Arctic-Midwest?cm_ven=cat6-widget

• Like 7

Well, I can tell you that the extreme cold is for real.  I had to go to Muskegon MI this past Tuesday and Wednesday for business.   It was -28 F.  

• Like 1

The ash is dropping here in Clinton. Lost most of the 6-8" trees. Some of the bigger ones went down too. The bigger ones are slowly dying, Would be nice to save a few.

• Like 1

I see them in Somerset.  They try to hide in my folding tree steps.  I kill as many as I can find.

• Like 1

Township guys or tree service companies have been cutting down the ash trees by me. You can drive down the road and the trees are all lopped over. 

I think I may have encountered some of their damage in zone 8 . I was using a climbing stand in a area of ash and cedars and the tree i was climbing looked ok but the bark was crumbling off in big pieces as i climbed up. Is that what typically happens?

Hope the cold kills most. We lose to many tree to developing as is. Cant lose more to bugs.