IGNORED

Another Capone moment and question

I have constant rabbits in my yard. Just about every night I see them. We have some thick bushes in one corner. While letting Capone run around today after work. He went into the bushes, and again locked up like a statue. 

Im standing a few yards away saying out loud "good boy" and at the same time thinking he's just pointing a song bird or something. Next thing I see is a rabbit run out like bat out of hell and of course there goes Capone after it! I let him chase it for about 20 yards into the woods before I called him back. 

Is this good or bad? Can he be trained to point birds AND rabbits?! In my opinion that would be absolutely awesome. 

However. Will there be confusion with him while hunting birds? What if we are bird hunting and he just starts pointing rabbits? 

Any thoughts? 

Kinda natural when pointers are young to point rabbits, butterflies, etc. I don’t know if it presents a problem honestly. My boykin will run rabbits as well. I like eating rabbits so I let her go. Funny thing is when she runs a rabbit she barks but flushing birds she doesn’t. Maybe someone else will weigh in on wether it’s a problem for bird dogs but I don’t see where it would be unless he decides to choose to hunt one over the other, the one being rabbits

AWM

My GSP is 4 and I run her regularly at Colliers Mills.  In the warmer months she points box turtles, snakes and an occasional small lizard.  I think its the scent that causes them to lock up.

IMG_20180531_135439506.jpg

Edited by RPK0620

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

My GSP used to point rabbits and I thought it was great, but a guy I would hunt with would get all bent out of shape because " WE ARE HERE TO HUNT BIRDS" he would always say, and his friend that ran field trials didn't want his dogs to pick up bad habits.   

I say if you like it then it is OK and don't worry about it.

If you want him to be a bird dog expose him to birds then more birds,don’t worry about the rabbits let him be a puppy,work on obedience so you can call him off  something you don’t want him to chase. When you shoot those fist birds over him you’ll see him change into the hunting partner you want! Their demeanor changes  all they want to do is hunt,it’s up to you to direct the inherent genetic capabilities into the dog you want!