IGNORED

Cold and Windy

Buck154

Just now, Lunatic said:

One of the reasons we decided to stay home. Equipment is hard to start in minus temps.

My two partners are on a river restoration job in the Montana mountains and our heavy equipment operator rented a new Volvo excavator and loader.  Both come with full engine block heating so they not only start right up in the morning, but the heat will be on almost immediately.  They have worked in negative temps each morning for the last week without issues.  Not sure if the Caterpillar equipment we rent here in the East has that feature.  These are factory installed systems and not aftermarket like most use. 

Just now, Bucksnbows said:

My two partners are on a river restoration job in the Montana mountains and our heavy equipment operator rented a new Volvo excavator and loader.  Both come with full engine block heating so they not only start right up in the morning, but the heat will be on almost immediately.  They have worked in negative temps each morning for the last week without issues.  Not sure if the Caterpillar equipment we rent here in the East has that feature.  These are factory installed systems and not aftermarket like most use. 

Once you get them started diesel will run for ever in almost any temps. our equipment does not have block heaters.
I huunted Montana Mountain for almost 10 years. Millbrook Road.

6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Once you get them started diesel will run for ever in almost any temps. our equipment does not have block heaters.
I huunted Montana Mountain for almost 10 years. Millbrook Road.

By "Montana mountains", I mean out in the state of Montana, not Warren County, NJ.  But yes, diesels run great once started.  It's starting them in temps well below freezing that can be the trick as you know.  We are working on days below -14 out there, not including wind chill.  What is a once in a decade or two deep freeze is just another normal winter day for the upper western states like Montana.  It's just that it doesn't make news like it does in a huge city like NY.

Are they running Webasto’s or Eberspacher’s. I had a pair of Webastos in my last truck. One for the coolant, one for the cabin heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk