IGNORED

Bolt Action Firing Pin Issue

Pqreturn62

Has anyone ever had an issue with their firing pin not striking the primer of a bullet casing when fired? 

I bought a brand new Savage Axis in 223 to hunt coyotes and fox this winter and when trying to fire it for the first time today, realized the firing pin wasn’t striking the primer, and hence, no “bang”. Called Savage and they want me to mail it their tech shop to have the pin evaluated. What I dislike is that I need to do this on my own dime when I bought it straight from the factory and never fired it. If anyone had an idea of where I can start, or any experience with an issue like this, I would appreciate the help. YouTube only got me so far.

-Ken

No mark at all? Does this firearm have an accu-trigger? May be a problem with a trigger adjustment. 

What ammo were you shooting?

When you dry fire the rifle, is there a nice click sound? 

Did you take anything apart?  Disassemble the bolt or action from the stock?

17 minutes ago, username said:

No mark at all? Does this firearm have an accu-trigger? May be a problem with a trigger adjustment. 

What ammo were you shooting?

When you dry fire the rifle, is there a nice click sound? 

Did you take anything apart?  Disassemble the bolt or action from the stock?

There is no residual marking on the primer when fired, even though yes I am hearing a good click. I didn’t want to mess with disassembling the firing pin or trigger until I heard that they wanted me to ship the entire gun back rather than just the firing pin. I get that they can’t just assume I know what I’m talking about but there are very few primer ignition issues that can occur with a bolt action rifle that don’t involve the firing pin, so I’m not understanding why they need the entire gun, and on top of it want me to pay to ship it back. Either way, I digress. I removed the pin, unsprung it, checked the external bearings and casing seat to ensure that the bullet could properly be seated in the pin, and then reassembled the gun. Never played with the trigger. In terms of ammo, I started out with American Eagle rounds in Remington .223 FMJ. I tried 5 different rounds and the same lack of primer contact issue persisted. I then tried my buddy’s Hornady rounds and the same thing occurred, leaving me with no answers other than that the firing pin isn’t making contact with the primer.

They're just covering their @$$e$ with the total return: lawyer proofing. 

I bet the problem is in the trigger.  There's a lot of chatter online about Accutrigger safety mechanisms and problems with sear adjustment.

Have you ever adjusted a trigger?  If you are going to send it back, you may want to give it a shot beforehand. WARNING - messing with the trigger, if you have never done so before, could be VERY dangerous, ie life threatening.

Does Jewell make a full drop-in trigger unit for the rifle?  If so, buy it, throw the old trigger away, and never look back.  Timney and Rifle Basix a second and third option, respectively.

It really bothers me that they are making you eat the shipping costs.  Can you drop it off to an authorized dealer?  Maybe they could fix or ship free?

Savage rifles are some of the best.. First I would use a grease cutting agent (WD40) and clean the spring hole really well. Buy a dud plug at a local store in 223 caliber of course and pull the trigger a few times. This should do it.. If it fails call Savage and ask for a postage label. If you have proof of purchase they will get it to them for free.

I own 2 Savage rifles from their custom shop as I am a lefty... Never an issue.

I had this issue with a Savage 99 lever action in 308. The same rifle also seemed to have a spacing issue as mentioned above as some casings would get stuck in the chamber after firing. Both of these issues were influenced by the ammo I was using. If I stick with Am Eagle or Remington I'm fine. If I use bulk ammo or really cheap crap I have seem to have issues.