IGNORED

Ithaca Turkey Slayer, anyone use one?

DBuck

On 2/1/2019 at 6:15 AM, DBuck said:

I have 2 870s, a Wingmaster that I've had for about 40 years and an Express that a friend gave me. I use the Express for turkey now, it patterns well and kills turkeys. But I want to get a  gun made for turkey hunting in camo with either a thumbhole stock or a pistol grip. I've thought about getting a barrel for one of the guns or my Mossberg 500, but I've been saving for a turkey gun.

Few of my friends are all shooting the 870 3” with thumbhole stock .

said same as BUSHDEN.  No need for 3 1/2” .

they are shooting Winchester long beards . And can easily shoot turkeys to 50 yards the way they pattern.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

On 2/1/2019 at 4:15 AM, MikeStaten said:

The Ithaca at $899 is a lot for a pump turkey gun. 

If you've already patterned and have a good shooter in the 870  I'd stick with it.  

You can get a camo Shurshot stock (around $70) for your 870 Express, throw some camo tape on the barrel or paint the barrel flat green and put sights, a red dot or scope on it and be done with it. 

If not that gun, a Mossberg 835 would be one to look as they shoot as good or better than any turkey gun out there.  However, id try to shoot someones before you buy one.  Im not particularly recoil shy but the 835 seems to kick harder than any other shotgun ive shot.  I shoot an 870 and with 3.5" shells my 870 isn't bad but my friend's 835 with the same shells is brutal on my cheek.  Could just be me.  

Its definetly not you. The 835 definetly packs a punch. But thats because the overbored barrel and forcing cones.

OP. The Ithaca turkey slayer is a great turkey gun. I do have one but do not hunt with it. but that is only because I have many dedicated turkey guns and have a favorite. But I guarantee you will not be dissapointed with it.

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Few of my friends are all shooting the 870 3” with thumbhole stock .

said same as BUSHDEN.  No need for 3 1/2” .

they are shooting Winchester long beards . And can easily shoot turkeys to 50 yards the way they pattern.

Agreed. With the use of "hevi-shot" type ammo, the 3.5" is no longer necessary. Hell, I remember when hardcore Turkey hunters were using a 10 ga. With hevi-shot, you can reduce pellet size which increases pellet count. You can pack as many pellets in a 3" now compared to a 3.5" with larger lead. I see a trend toward 20 ga with the benefits of hevi-shot loads. When I say "hevi-shot" it's a term to describe shot that is heavier than lead, not the brand name. 

Edited by archer36

3 minutes ago, mikejd said:

Pretty sure the Bottomland option is the one he is speaking of. Thats a very popular turkey hunting color.

5 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

No but they have a camo 26" barrel version that is drilled and tapped for scope mounts.  

OK, I get it. I thought they had a "specialized" Turkey gun with things like thumbhole stock, rifle sights, etc. 

• 3 years later...
On 2/2/2019 at 8:43 AM, mikejd said:

Its definetly not you. The 835 definetly packs a punch. But thats because the overbored barrel and forcing cones.

OP. The Ithaca turkey slayer is a great turkey gun. I do have one but do not hunt with it. but that is only because I have many dedicated turkey guns and have a favorite. But I guarantee you will not be dissapointed with it.

Hey Mike!

Sent you a PM on your Turkeyslayer if you’d maybe be interested in selling it.

6 minutes ago, Buckeyes11 said:

I don’t understand everyone’s complaint with the 3 inch vs 3.5! More pellets in 3.5. Does it hurt at the range. Sure. But who the hell feels it when shooting at a turkey??????

My beretta extreme a400 plus dosnt kick at all with 3.5s