IGNORED

Ithaca Turkey Slayer, anyone use one?

DBuck

I do not have one, but as you may know Ithaca makes a super product. My son in law shoots a Model 37 Featherlite 16 guage Pump. It was his Grandfather's. All Ithaca guns are now produced in Ohio and supposedly have an outstanding producton system. 

Edited by Batsto

Buy a 12ga Remington 870 3" NOT 3 1/2" and save your self the money and you have a great NEW shotgun that will last a lifetime.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, bushden said:

Buy a 12ga Remington 870 3" NOT 3 1/2" and save your self the money and you have a great NEW shotgun that will last a lifetime.

I have 2 870s, a Wingmaster that I've had for about 40 years and an Express that a friend gave me. I use the Express for turkey now, it patterns well and kills turkeys. But I want to get a  gun made for turkey hunting in camo with either a thumbhole stock or a pistol grip. I've thought about getting a barrel for one of the guns or my Mossberg 500, but I've been saving for a turkey gun.

49 minutes ago, DBuck said:

I have 2 870s, a Wingmaster that I've had for about 40 years and an Express that a friend gave me. I use the Express for turkey now, it patterns well and kills turkeys. But I want to get a  gun made for turkey hunting in camo with either a thumbhole stock or a pistol grip. I've thought about getting a barrel for one of the guns or my Mossberg 500, but I've been saving for a turkey gun.

The Ithaca at $899 is a lot for a pump turkey gun. 

If you've already patterned and have a good shooter in the 870  I'd stick with it.  

You can get a camo Shurshot stock (around $70) for your 870 Express, throw some camo tape on the barrel or paint the barrel flat green and put sights, a red dot or scope on it and be done with it. 

If not that gun, a Mossberg 835 would be one to look as they shoot as good or better than any turkey gun out there.  However, id try to shoot someones before you buy one.  Im not particularly recoil shy but the 835 seems to kick harder than any other shotgun ive shot.  I shoot an 870 and with 3.5" shells my 870 isn't bad but my friend's 835 with the same shells is brutal on my cheek.  Could just be me.  

2 hours ago, DBuck said:

A "turkey gun" means a 20, 16 or 12 gauge shotgun with a tight choke.  There is nothing else needed to make it a dedicated turkey gun.  Forget camo.  Movement is your enemy in the turkey woods.  I have shot more turkeys than I can count with a standard 12 ga. Remington 870 using 3" shells in # 5 shot.  Unless you just want a new gun - and who doesn't? - no need to buy something new just for turkeys.    

11 hours ago, DBuck said:

This is an 870 that I use for Turkey, with red dot sight and rem camo wrap.It shoots hevi shot blend out to 6o yards like few others.

You could also put a boyds camo thumbhole stock on your 870 for $75. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

100_3145.JPG

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

10 hours ago, MikeStaten said:

The Ithaca at $899 is a lot for a pump turkey gun. 

If you've already patterned and have a good shooter in the 870  I'd stick with it.  

You can get a camo Shurshot stock (around $70) for your 870 Express, throw some camo tape on the barrel or paint the barrel flat green and put sights, a red dot or scope on it and be done with it. 

If not that gun, a Mossberg 835 would be one to look as they shoot as good or better than any turkey gun out there.  However, id try to shoot someones before you buy one.  Im not particularly recoil shy but the 835 seems to kick harder than any other shotgun ive shot.  I shoot an 870 and with 3.5" shells my 870 isn't bad but my friend's 835 with the same shells is brutal on my cheek.  Could just be me.  

One thing I don't like about the Express is that it has a 28" barrel, I want a shorter one and they go for around $200, add the stock and forearm that I want add another $75ish, add good tape and a new decent sight  you're looking at pushing $400. I've tried taping guns before and let's just say that I suck at it, and I'm not going to pay someone to do it. I've been saving for a new gun so I want to at least look into getting one, I'll be visiting Jim Flynn soon and get his opinion on different guns.

9 hours ago, archer36 said:

With all the choke and ammo choices out there, I see no need for a dedicated Turkey Gun. 

No need other than the reason that I want one

9 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

A "turkey gun" means a 20, 16 or 12 gauge shotgun with a tight choke.  There is nothing else needed to make it a dedicated turkey gun.  Forget camo.  Movement is your enemy in the turkey woods.  I have shot more turkeys than I can count with a standard 12 ga. Remington 870 using 3" shells in # 5 shot.  Unless you just want a new gun - and who doesn't? - no need to buy something new just for turkeys.    

Pretty much just want to buy a new gun..Ha

33 minutes ago, bushden said:

This is an 870 that I use for Turkey, with red dot sight and rem camo wrap.It shoots hevi shot blend out to 6o yards like few others.

100_3145.JPG

Looks nice, but as I stated above it would be pricey to upgrade my Express, I know not as much as a new gun, even an 835 would end up being more with the certain upgrades, but my heart is set on buying a new gun, so we'll see what happens.

I like Ithacas and paid a lot for my Deerslayer III slug gun.  But, that gun has beautiful bluing, and  checkering aside from being very accurate.  

I don't think I would be interested in paying that much for plastic and camo.  For that I would get a Remington 87o or similar.

I have shot a few of the higher end guns and they ar great don't get me wrong..  but honestly I love my stoeger p350 pump for turkeys..  up grades are cheap..  I am ordering a 22 inch cantilever barrel for it that takes chokes...  they are on clearance for 50 bucks

22 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I have shot a few of the higher end guns and they ar great don't get me wrong..  but honestly I love my stoeger p350 pump for turkeys..  up grades are cheap..  I am ordering a 22 inch cantilever barrel for it that takes chokes...  they are on clearance for 50 bucks

Stoeger is great. I have the m3500. Hell of a shotgun and uses the same inertia system as benelli. For half the cost. I have beat mine up waterfowling, turkey, and predators during the night. The only thing that failed on it was the blue stoeger emblem under the grip fell off somewhere. My guess was probably from shooting 3.5s . Great shotgun. 

15 minutes ago, Kype said:

Stoeger is great. I have the m3500. Hell of a shotgun and uses the same inertia system as benelli. For half the cost. I have beat mine up waterfowling, turkey, and predators during the night. The only thing that failed on it was the blue stoeger emblem under the grip fell off somewhere. My guess was probably from shooting 3.5s . Great shotgun. 

I have the 3500 as well and a 3000 for the wife .  My 3500 had issues cycling last year but it was a small bit of gunk on the pin for the rotary bolt cleaned and polished no problems since

Edited by vdep217