IGNORED

CAPONE first BIRD!

Well it happen today. My 6 month old Brittany got his first bird today. Very proud of him. At first he was going a little crazy. But he eventually slowed down and started hunting. After about 45 min he finally smelled something. He kept going back and forth back and forth and then he locked up like a statue. As im walking towards Capone, the pheasant flushed. KIMG0952.thumb.JPG.2cc8ca0e2973680f1817b97ddf3e8a01.JPG

KIMG0954.thumb.JPG.836bb72d444ddd69bf31f4ea670d9b49.JPG

KIMG0953.thumb.JPG.fe8fb5dd6e0cf0da607637c533ad195e.JPG

This is a great bird. Being that it's Capone first bird at 6 months old AND this is my first bird,with working my OWN bird dog. I have been training him the best to my abilities since last August. 

I never seen him so excited when he ran up the pheasant on the ground. He kept trying to play with it and barking at it. He was definitely excited. As was I. Now Capone ate some food, drank a whole bunch of water, took a big dump and now been sleeping for the past 2 hours lol. I love him. And he did great today. 

When they are young, they always hit the ground a bit raunchy initially and you need to remind them who is boss of this hunt.  After a few minutes of running like fools, most young bird dogs settle in.  Sounds all too familiar.  :)

Great job with the pup and congrats on your first of many! 

Awesome!!! Congrats to you and Capone. It is totally natural for a young dog to run around like a lunatic at first. Him locking up instead of charging in is a great sign that you and Capone will have a great bird hunting future. You must be so excited. Thanks for sharing that “first bird” experience with us. :up:

AWM

39 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Awesome!!! Congrats to you and Capone. It is totally natural for a young dog to run around like a lunatic at first. Him locking up instead of charging in is a great sign that you and Capone will have a great bird hunting future. You must be so excited. Thanks for sharing that “first bird” experience with us. :up:

still excited. i keep re running the whole experience in my head. 

just one thing. after i put the pheasant in my vest, capone kind of stop hunting. the only bird he wanted was the dead one in my vest. he kept jumping up to my vest instead of looking for more birds in the fields. anything i can do to stop that? 

i was thinking just let time run its course with more hunts in the future. hes still a puppy and was probably just excited. but if there is something i can start doing now to stop him jumping at my vest. then i will start doing it. 

14 minutes ago, Kype said:

still excited. i keep re running the whole experience in my head. 

just one thing. after i put the pheasant in my vest, capone kind of stop hunting. the only bird he wanted was the dead one in my vest. he kept jumping up to my vest instead of looking for more birds in the fields. anything i can do to stop that? 

i was thinking just let time run its course with more hunts in the future. hes still a puppy and was probably just excited. but if there is something i can start doing now to stop him jumping at my vest. then i will start doing it. 

Kyle i am out to dinner but will give you a call in around an hour or so to talk

AWM