IGNORED

tip of the day - don't cook brant (the wife's gonna kill me)

mazzgolf

I just ate some Canada Goose for lunch today.  I harvested this back in early winter during one of my field hunts. I took it home and brined it for a couple days then I put it in the freezer until last week. Last week I took it out and put it in the fridge until I was ready to eat it today. I dunno if it was because I let it "age" in the fridge for a week, but it wasn't tough at all. Had texture and color of a regular old steak, even had flavor close to that. All I did was fry it up in some oil, salt, pepper... put a little dipping BBQ sauce on the side, and it was GOOD!

Why can't these sea ducks be like that?!?

Maybe I'll try the milk trick - I've heard that mentioned in a few places before. Or maybe I combine brining and aging like I did this goose - brine for  a couple days, then remove the brine and let it age in the fridge for a week.

There has to be that ONE secret that I'm missing... I'll find it! If its the last thing I do! (or until the wife kicks me out of the house until I promise to stop :) )

I just feel better when I go hunting for something knowing that what I kill I'll have a use for. And I really liked coastal hunting and want to keep doing it - this was my first time experiencing duck hunting in the marshes down the shore, it was a lot of fun.

11 hours ago, jerseyducker said:

For Brant I use orange slice juice/vinger and a little red wine. Sit and sock for a day then seer on a hot cast iron skillet a few minutes on each side, then grill for about 5 minutes. Not the best tasting dish but not all that bad. 

Interesting......all that for not all that bad. 

10 minutes ago, Zipper said:

Crab bait.

Whoa!!!!!! :bulb:

That is an AWESOME idea!! I *never* would have thought about that! I can breast these birds out, and freeze them for my crabbing later in the year. I want a use for things I kill - that doesn't mean I have to eat them though.... crab bait... what a great idea. You win a cookie! :) :clapping: