IGNORED

Camera Rec's

MPSR

Looking into a  few new camera's I'm a Nikon fan as I own a few.. Been looking into the Nikon D80. I like Cannon's as well... Memories in the field captured by a I-phone are good but I looking for a camera to keep in my pack when hiking and hunting to zoom in and take crystal clear shots..

Thanks!

It all depends on what you already have in terms of lenses. If you have Nikon lenses then stay with it because they are not interchangeable with other brands.
If you are starting from zero then I would seriously consider Canon. Not because Canon Cameras are better. It is because canon lenses are much better, the best on the market, and the lens is IMO 80% of what you need for quality images.   The camera you will buy is not for ever, you will be buying another one becaude they only have so many clicks in them but the lens is for life.

Edited by Lunatic

Like lunatic said, a top of the line lens makes a big difference.  Big difference in price too, but worth it if you can afford it.  To save weight, stick with a good plastic body camera.  They get heavy once you get into the pro metal bodies.  I'm not very familiar with the Nikon line, I have a Canon.  To save some money(if you opt for a new lens), instead of buying the best lens Nikon makes, look into Sigma and Tamron lenses that are made for Nikon.   Telephoto/prime lenses will be lighter than a zoom lens, gather more light at dusk, and have a little better clarity because there is less glass for the light to pass through.  100mm is good for framing deer around the stand, out to around 20yds, and are a light weight lens.  A 300 or 400mm for farther subjects.  If you get a zoom, 100-400mm is a good option.  B&H photo is a good site to shop.

Also get photoshop or another editing program.  DSLR pics are better if you tweak things like sharpness, contrast, lighting, color, etc.