IGNORED

Got Capone out today

Capone is 6 months old now. I have been training him since the day I brought him home. He is finding pheasant wings every place I hide them. Also have been slowly introducing him to gunfire with .22s. today was the first time I took him out with a shotgun. 

Yesterday I drove to land and hid multiple pheasant wings. This morning I took him there to find them and I brought along my CZ 20 gauge. He's never heard a shotgun fire. He absolutely loved it! He wasnt scared the slightest bit. He found 2 of the 6 wings I hid. Pheasant wings were drags with pheasant sent. 

KIMG0891.thumb.JPG.5bc3d6e1f5156dade910d1838ca307b9.JPG

Any other thoughts on training are appreciated. I never trained a bird dog before. I think we're doing great. I really need to get him on live birds. 

4 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

That’s great. You are definitely on your way once gun shots are introduced. I have your number and will reach out to you tomorrow. 

We need birds. Should I buy a pigeon thrower? Im assuming we need   pointing on the lesson plan soon. Is it worth it to take him out for leftovers at a WMA?  I have him pointing a pheasant wing attached to a fishing pole,but only once his initial excitement of seeing it is over. Then he calms down and points it.

Well let me say this... all my dogs are flushers, not pointers so I couldn’t really say whether a bird launcher is essential or not. I have taught flushers by hobbling birds so they don’t fly off and can be retreived for daily use. I have watched a friend of mine train his pointers without the use of a bird thrower, he also hobbles birds for training. Not sure what you mean by him pointing after he calms down from being excited. What exactly does he do once he gets scent of a wing?

AWM

53 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Well let me say this... all my dogs are flushers, not pointers so I couldn’t really say whether a bird launcher is essential or not. I have taught flushers by hobbling birds so they don’t fly off and can be retreived for daily use. I have watched a friend of mine train his pointers without the use of a bird thrower, he also hobbles birds for training. Not sure what you mean by him pointing after he calms down from being excited. What exactly does he do once he gets scent of a wing?

He just runs in the bush and grabs it. Rather then pointing it. 

With the fishing pole, he's all excited to see it and just keeps running at it and bitting it. But after the exicitment of seeing it, he calms down and will begin to point it. 

But any wing in a bush, he just hauls ass into the bush to grabs it, rather then slowing down and pointing it. 

Maybe because he's only 6 months? And any bird is exciting for him. That's my thoughts. He gets excited just seeing song birds in the backyard. A cardinal landed on a tree branch while I was taking him out and it was like the best thing he had ever seen lol. Just want him to slow down. And use his nose rather then using his eyes. But I don't know how to go about that

I have two Gsp’s one I’m currently training a 6 months old she finds birds but did the same thing ran in on them, I got her pointing now but she does need a little correction still. 

use a check rope 15 to 20 feet long use live birds quail or pigeons hide them let the dog find them while on the check rope don’t let him catch them when he runs in on them dump him pull him back hard on the rope he will understand a few times that he’s not supposed to catch them and start to point.

after that a little bench work with pigeons to help steady him. I take my pup to Dominic peretti in south jersey a known dog trainer he helps me with my pup and gives me great advice.  He trained my other dog. I’m not sure where your located but if your in south jersey pm me we can meet up one day and work on our dogs together or if you want I can give you doms number.im no expert but after my first dog I really enjoy training my pup and learning from guys who are experts.

6EDEF087-57E4-466E-8B4D-1723145D162D.jpeg

3E2E8CDE-A6C9-4344-BD80-EA71F44C836D.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kype said:

Capone is 6 months old now. I have been training him since the day I brought him home. He is finding pheasant wings every place I hide them. Also have been slowly introducing him to gunfire with .22s. today was the first time I took him out with a shotgun. 

Yesterday I drove to land and hid multiple pheasant wings. This morning I took him there to find them and I brought along my CZ 20 gauge. He's never heard a shotgun fire. He absolutely loved it! He wasnt scared the slightest bit. He found 2 of the 6 wings I hid. Pheasant wings were drags with pheasant sent. 

KIMG0891.thumb.JPG.5bc3d6e1f5156dade910d1838ca307b9.JPG

Any other thoughts on training are appreciated. I never trained a bird dog before. I think we're doing great. I really need to get him on live birds. 

Awesome Kype. He is gonna be a bird finding machine! :fudd:

Bones gave some great advice which i agree with 100%. You need him on the check cord to keep him from rushing in on the bird. When you pull back and if he goes on point then, praise heavily. The learn what is good and what is a no no real fast when they’re young. My dogs are taught to go right in and flush but thats because that is the breed they are ... a flusher. However i used the check cord for stopping them after the flush and to retreive when i give command. Low fields are great for check cord work, and a simple length of poly cord is all you need. It is great that he loves birds, that is the most important part now you just need to get him steady. Keep sessions short but often. Have fun and keep positive, dont get frustrated. When he does good really play it up, when he doesn’t an abrupt pull on the cord and single NO. Don’t repeat commands, one no and correct. Multiple commands teaches them they get get away with a bit. Also when you get him to point on a wing, sometimes keep him on point and pick up the wing youself and put it in your pocket and continue on to the next one. It teaches him that the point is his job, not grabbing the wing.

AWM