IGNORED

WHAT DID YOU LEARN NEW THIS HUNTING SEASON

Live to Hunt

4 hours ago, Live to Hunt said:

I have been hunting a long time but, still learning.   Here is what I learned this year.   The farm I hunt in Kansas has an open field that is usually beans and its my only way in to the front of the farm.  My first morning I sat on the back of the farm and could see the bean field.  There where a lot of deer in that field the first morning and 3 good bucks including the one I killed.  The next morning I knew I had to be on the other side of the property and hunt the front.  The next morning I went in and scared A LOT of deer off the beans and I did it again the next morning but, scared less deer.   Well the beans no longer had deer in them any longer.  I knew I screwed up but, the damage was already done.  So lesson learned.  Next year I will wait till the sun rises and the field clears and then make my entrance into my stands on the front part of the property during day lite.  I just love being in the woods when the sun rises and its what I have always done.  Sometimes you have to break old habits.   I shot a good deer this year but, you never know maybe I educated a bigger and better one.  Exiting is still a problem and not sure I have a solution for that yet. 

FFC7D349-65D6-413C-867F-5138AEB5B821.jpeg

Good intel for when we go to Kansas.....:peace:

I learned that I need to be more aggressive  when hunting bucks. I knew where a big 7pt was bedding and was too scared to mess it up so I played it conservative and ended up having it get hit by a car instead of my arrow.

I also learned that when a buck is tending a doe and they go into the thicket to bed and you know where they went into, set up on the same trail to kill the buck because 4 different bucks with does did the same thing went in on a trail and came out later that evening on the same trail they went in on.

Oh and don't start hunting until October 20th because by the time November 24 came around I burnt myself out and stopped hunting for over a month because I was so defeated that I wenrt another season and have yet to kill a buck.

2 minutes ago, MZ7Extreme said:

Oh and don't start hunting until October 20th because by the time November 24 came around I burnt myself out and stopped hunting for over a month because I was so defeated that I went another season and have yet to kill a buck.

This right here is so very true.....Have done this myself many times. Always regret not going as hard when the bucks are cruising....

11 hours ago, Kype said:

WD40 my tree stand during the colder months. :whatever: stupid sqeeks cost me a deer. 

dont bring buckshot. buy a friggin slug gun for next year. :poke:

Been there!!!learned myself to go over checks points.Wiggle in the tree stand to determine noise,draw bow to determine noise,and don't drink coffee before hunt.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I learned that I cannot fall asleep in the stand if i want to shoot big bucks

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Learned a lot about a new spot i aquired and a particular buck that broke all the rules as to how bucks use the wind, travel routes etc. never repeating a pattern has let this buck elude me all season. He is still here, i guess the game continues next season as he only has one side of head gear left. 

AWM