IGNORED

merganser part deux

mazzgolf

3 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I wasn't going to do it - but my friend was adamant - he swears if you prepare it right, it will be good. I don't believe it, but.... most of my incentive to try it again is to prove him wrong ;) 

Your friend is at home laughing his ass off thinking of the look on your face during every bite

AWM

8 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Like I said in other thread I put all of my divers in one bag just keep adding.   At the end of the season I will see what I got than add goose and some deer meat if needed grind it all and make jerkry

I wouldn't tarnish any deer or goose meat with divers. They're too good on their own.

I'm looking forward to your second try. I hope you survive! :D

A few weeks ago my son shot a buffie out of boredom. He cooked it up and it was pretty good. I was surprised. I haven't shot them in many years but I might not pass on them after tasting that one.

9 minutes ago, Dogface said:

I'm looking forward to your second try.

I just changed out my brine - some clean water, salt, and pepper - that's it. I'll let this brine another day to make it a full 2 days in the brine after those full 2 days of dry aging in the fridge. The color of the meat has already changed a little bit - and I don't smell any "seafood" odor. So that's a good sign I guess.

I have some Honey Terriyaki marinade - so I think tomorrow at lunch time I will dump the brine and start to marinate the breast meat in that. After several hours in that, it should be ready by dinner time to try. I guess I'll just bake it. Haven't thought that far ahead :)  If anyone has ideas on how to complete this project, let me know (but realize I'm trying to make this easy on me - I'm not making a gourmet dinner - I just want to see if I can find an easy way to make a dinner with these monstrosities). But I think I might just put it in the oven at high heat (450 or so) and do a quick 10-minute bake. Maybe wrapped in bacon? Everything tastes good with bacon, right? 

2 minutes ago, Mpdiesel said:

"Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."-Albert Einstein.

Ah.. but see.. that's the point to this whole exercise. I'm *NOT* doing the same thing. The first time I tried to go from field-to-table in the same day -- it didn't work out well. But now I'm taking it slow and trying to prepare it in a different way. We shall see... stay tuned...

14 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Ah.. but see.. that's the point to this whole exercise. I'm *NOT* doing the same thing. The first time I tried to go from field-to-table in the same day -- it didn't work out well. But now I'm taking it slow and trying to prepare it in a different way. We shall see... stay tuned...

In twenty years of hunting ducks I have been told Mergansers are an acquired taste. In twenty years, I have yet to meet one person who has an acquired taste for Mergansers. 

OK, the verdict is in. Well, kind of. I would say this - it was not horrible or inedible but certainly not as good as most other game meat I've had. But honestly, if I knew how to cook it better, I think it could be doable.

It didn't have any fishy flavor or odor, and it was not oily, but it was gamey. Like I said, someone with cooking skills could definitely do something with this (Wrapping in bacon does make it better :) The bacon flavor does enhance the meat.)

Next season, I'll try again. But I'll really try to do it "right". Dry age it a little more with the skin on, perhaps. This little experiment was just to see if I could get out that fishy flavor and oily texture, which I've proven you can do.

In short, take the time and be patient while preparing the meat properly, and find a good recipe, and I think you can have a meal. Just go into it realizing it isn't venison tenderloin.