IGNORED

New to site and waterfowl. Bergen county. Kayak and location recommendations???

Nick D

Welcome to the site.

I am assuming you are looking for next year since North zone duck closed Saturday and goose is only open until the end of the week.

Cant help you with locations because I am from Central/Southern NJ area. No need to go up there for ducks when I got plenty of spots around me. But West of Bergen county there is a lot of WMA/state land that I would look into if I lived up there. Do your homework and I am sure you can find a spot if nobody helps you. Also when they migrate back north in a few months would be a good time to get out and see areas they are using and look into whether or not you can hunt it would also help.

As far as kayaks, I have a sit on top. Not the best but it gets the job done. Also I have a jet sled that I pull behind it sometimes to get additional decoys out. 

My best suggestion is make sure you dot all of your “i’s” and cross all of your “t’s” when gun hunting in Bergen county. I am from West Milford and have several Bergen County bow spots that I have had to deal with the police about. The main thing I learned from that experience is don’t assume that because there is no specificly stated rule saying that no hunting with a firearm is permitted within a township, doesn’t mean that it’s not covered under another ordinance. Read through the ordinances with a fine tooth comb, then contact the local police chief about the opportunity to hunt with a firearm in a specific location. If you go into the conversation knowing the town codes that pertain to your topic, they won’t be able to simple blanket statement you for fear of public reaction. 

My honest advice though, is unless you are 100% sure that you are legal, I wouldn’t duck hunt “inner” Bergen County; stick  to the outskirts where it’s less crowded, more blue collar, and significantly less sensitive to the term gun control. I personally do most of my duck hunting in northern Passaic, Sussex County, and over the border in NY as thats where ppl will leave you alone and not call in the police cause they heard a gunshot. I even had to deal with the DEP Police in West Milford this year...I didn’t break any laws and they wasted 3 hrs of their time watching me from the woods, but even WM is becoming yuppy...it sucks 😩

Thanks for the input...   yea this is for next year.  Want to start getting all my “things” together.    I don’t necessarily want to stay in Bergen county.  Know it’s strict.   Looking for some areas pretty close.   

8 hours ago, Nick D said:

Hi guys.   Been duck hunting a couple times(Out of state) and  I love it.  Was just looking for some advice....

Kayak sugguestions (budget minded)

and suggestions on where to start hunting in the Bergen county area.   

Thanks for the help!!

Welcome to the site I'm new to the site as well from Bergen county

Edited by gonefishing

Other then Sawmill Creek WMA I can't think of any public BC places. You would have to expand your search to out west/warren/sussex/moris and take a look at places that may work for you. Scouting is key. Take the time in February to look/scout. Kayaks, I am looking at getting one myself. I much prefer a sit in one then a sit on top one. 

18 minutes ago, rgw said:

Your nuts if you hunt it in canoe or kayak in winter. That's a death sentence. Welcome to the site

I was thinking the same thing. But a canoe or kayak to get to a ground blind would work. Granted you have the proper life jackets on, and wading belt. I use to use a canoe to get away from people but soley used it for transportation to the hunting area. Not to hunt from. Also depends on what water way your hunting. I sometimes felt fine hunting from my canoe because the I was comfortable with it and waters we were not high/fast. However I still havent. ..

1 hour ago, rgw said:

Your nuts if you hunt it in canoe or kayak in winter. That's a death sentence. Welcome to the site

I use kayak or small boat pretty frequently. Definitely not a death sentence if you know your limits and use your head. I only do it with one or two people I absolutely trust to 1) not flip it and 2) to know what to do if it does. Usually we aren't going far but in any case, I normally always am wearing a float coat over my waders if anything bad does happen. 

Welcome to duck hunting. I would scratch bothering with BC and expand your range. Put in a little more travel time to make your hunting time more worthwhile.