buckhound

2 clueless teens, baffled by a rotary phone lol

I'm having the same problem figuring out this smart phone.  There's a big difference between simplicity and smart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lol. The 19 year old I hired asked me. "What did u guys do before google maps"???!!!

We used maps kid!! I about died laughing when we had him attempt to read a map. Wow

• Haha 1

We orientated, adapted and improvised worked out pretty well in World War II if it didn't this message would be in douche!

7 hours ago, YurytheRed said:

The future is looking bright....:shakehead: 

I would certainly agree that it is.  I am raising three smart, tough, well rounded, and intellectually curious children.  If this is their competition they will find it that much easier to acquire scholarships, place well in good schools, and land good jobs.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

I would certainly agree that it is.  I am raising three smart, tough, well rounded, and intellectually curious children.  If this is their competition they will find it that much easier to acquire scholarships, place well in good schools, and land good jobs.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dh9OpJywavN0&ved=2ahUKEwiD_7fbyOXfAhUD2FkKHSRzCf8QwqsBMAF6BAgMEAg&usg=AOvVaw1F6cGHn8wG4FSZj1rY-6AB

8 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I'm having the same problem figuring out this smart phone.  There's a big difference between simplicity and smart.

Dial o for operator https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dh9OpJywavN0&ved=2ahUKEwiD_7fbyOXfAhUD2FkKHSRzCf8QwqsBMAF6BAgMEAg&usg=AOvVaw1F6cGHn8wG4FSZj1rY-6AB

33 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Showing up on time is half the battle these days. Do that and your miles above the norm.

36 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Your kids better be poor, foreigners or a minority to obtain any scholarship of any substance. 

15 minutes ago, Batsto said:

Your kids better be poor, foreigners or a minority to obtain any scholarship of any substance. 

I don't follow?  My brother-in-law just graduated from Rutgers Law debt free (full ride all three years)-I think what you may be referring to is "discounting" by colleges which is not the same as a merit based scholarship.  My kids will not need to rely on that.  We don't teach victimhood in our home-you make your own success.

Edited by Swamp_Yankee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

I don't follow?  My brother-in-law just graduated from Rutgers Law debt free (full ride all three years)-I think what you may be referring to is "discounting" by colleges which is not the same as a merit based scholarship.  My kids will not need to rely on that.  We don't teach victimhood in our home-you make your own success.

A perfect score for math and verbal on SATs is 1600. My daughter scored 1480, involved, Natl Honor Society and etc and received min scholarship money. She was accepted at Penn, Boston College, Nova and Rutgers.  She would have got a little more money from Rutgers, but she went to Villanova. Get ready to take a big hi unless you fit the quota system. 

2 hours ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

It would be foolish to deny that there is a quota system followed by the majority of institutions of " higher learning " that favor minorities, woman and foreign born nationals. Great for your brother in law but truth be told if your a white male and of a particular faith or political thought things are stacked against you. Not victimhood nor fiction just fact.

1 hour ago, Batsto said:

A perfect score for math and verbal on SATs is 1600. My daughter scored 1480, involved, Natl Honor Society and etc and received min scholarship money. She was accepted at Penn, Boston College, Nova and Rutgers.  She would have got a little more money from Rutgers, but she went to Villanova. Get ready to take a big hi unless you fit the quota system. 

1 hour ago, YurytheRed said:

It would be foolish to deny that there is a quota system followed by the majority of institutions of " higher learning " that favor minorities, woman and foreign born nationals. Great for your brother in law but truth be told if your a white male and of a particular faith or political thought things are stacked against you. Not victimhood nor fiction just fact.

Both of you are referring to "discounting" which is essentially a used car salesman tactic utilized by colleges and universities.  Batsto, your daughter wasn't going to "get money" from Rutgers, Rutgers was just going to agree give her a smaller bill in order to get her to sign on the dotted line.  The reality is that higher education doesn't actually cost anywhere near what colleges and universities charge students.  They charge students that much because they know that the student can simply go out and borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars from the federal government.  This is Economics 101-simple inflation-the availability of easy to borrow money results in out of control price inflation of whatever it is used to purchase, in this case, education.  College and university "discounting" is no different than going to a used car lot and having the guy give you a "great deal" on a car he tells you is worth $20,000 and he'll sell it to you for $15,000, only you don't know he only paid $8,000 for it.  Rutgers may have told her that she could attend for $35,000 per year, but in reality it probably only costs them $5,000 per year to provide the education.

I'm talking about achieving actual merit based scholarships from organizations that seek to find high achieving students who wish to study in their field (professional organizations, fraternal organizations, industry associations, etc...) knowing that the student will graduate, get a job in the field, and contribute to the field.  There are thousands of scholarship opportunities offered by thousands of organizations in the medical, engineering, science, legal, and other fields.  College and university "discounting" is a cheap con game designed to draw in students and parents who are easily drawn in by the lure of easy money.  The National Society of Professional Engineers, The American Academy of Trial Lawyers, and others, on the other hand don't just give money away to anyone.  Did your daughter apply for any of these or other scholarships not offered through the college or university itself?  Heck, there are a number of local scholarships only available to Hunterdon County students:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11y9hobaZFq36yW1DFlNGbUo59nHK-ujs 

Please do not think that I'm at all knocking your daughter's achievements, but in this day and age a high SAT score and NHS is not nearly enough.  Again, no victimhood here, just the Gospel of Wealth and hard work.  

Edited by Swamp_Yankee

18 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Both of you are referring to "discounting" which is essentially a used car salesman tactic utilized by colleges and universities.  Batsto, your daughter wasn't going to "get money" from Rutgers, Rutgers was just going to agree give her a smaller bill in order to get her to sign on the dotted line.  The reality is that higher education doesn't actually cost anywhere near what colleges and universities charge students.  They charge students that much because they know that the student can simply go out and borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars from the federal government.  This is Economics 101-simple inflation-the availability of easy to borrow money results in out of control price inflation of whatever it is used to purchase, in this case, education.  College and university "discounting" is no different than going to a used car lot and having the guy give you a "great deal" on a car he tells you is worth $20,000 and he'll sell it to you for $15,000, only you don't know he only paid $8,000 for it.  Rutgers may have told her that she could attend for $35,000 per year, but in reality it probably only costs them $5,000 per year to provide the education.

I'm talking about achieving actual merit based scholarships from organizations that seek to find high achieving students who wish to study in their field (professional organizations, fraternal organizations, industry associations, etc...) knowing that the student will graduate, get a job in the field, and contribute to the field.  There are thousands of scholarship opportunities offered by thousands of organizations in the medical, engineering, science, legal, and other fields.  College and university "discounting" is a cheap con game designed to draw in students and parents who are easily drawn in by the lure of easy money.  The National Society of Professional Engineers, The American Academy of Trial Lawyers, and others, on the other hand don't just give money away to anyone.  Did your daughter apply for any of these or other scholarships not offered through the college or university itself?  Heck, there are a number of local scholarships only available to Hunterdon County students:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11y9hobaZFq36yW1DFlNGbUo59nHK-ujs 

Please do not think that I'm at all knocking your daughter's achievements, but in this day and age a high SAT score and NHS is not nearly enough.  Again, no victimhood here, just the Gospel of Wealth and hard work.  

If you economically deprived you will get loans, scholarships and etc. But if you have a double income and don't  match quota numbers  you will pay.