IGNORED

Braid to Mono knots

hammer4reel

7 minutes ago, Huntfree77 said:

Hammer, a little off topic but I think I know the reason to add mono to braid on the last 3-4' for the ability to break if hung up but doesn't that defeat the purpose of not having the stretch and more sensitivity with braid? 

Braid doesn’t have an real abrasion resistance.

mono top shot gives you that as well as giving you some overall cushion on hard fighting fish

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

8 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

What's the GT knot?

Man I can't imagine that PR bobbin knot with cold, wet hands in tog season :eek:

On my tog rods I found it’s very rare when I need to retie it on the boat .

set them up at home and they are good to go .

usually still have more than enough mono to  retie after even a bunch of break offs 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

2 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Braid doesn’t have an real abrasion resistance.

mono top shot gives you that as well as giving you some overall cushion on hard fighting fish

Yes I understand that but doesn't the mono affect the sensitivity part of using braid?

Just now, Huntfree77 said:

Yes I understand that but doesn't the mono affect the sensitivity part of using braid?

Not really . If anything fish pull harder on a bite as they don’t feel the non stretch braid as quickly also.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

PR is faster to tie than an FG and its break strength is 17% higher.

There are also some slick braids that will not hold using an FG  such as Berkley Nano.

I have yet to find any braid that doesn't work with the PR .

hardest part is finding a bobbin at a reasonable price.

Never tried pr. Which bobbin is best?

52 minutes ago, AtcoJG said:

never had a problem with the Alberto and easy to tie, but looks like its time to learn a new knot. I tried the PR knot last year but kept screwing it up

I agree. I have only had my alberto knot fail one time and I know that was my fault. But I do not tuna fish so for anything I do its more then sufficient.

14 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Never tried pr. Which bobbin is best?

I have been using the ones from Jigging world..

Im pretty sure the Bass zone and the sea fishing are made by same company

The price on the shimano has been coming down and many guys seem to like that one too.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

On my tog rods I found it’s very rare when I need to retie it on the boat .

set them up at home and they are good to go .

usually still have more than enough mono to  retie after even a bunch of break offs 

How long of top shot do you use?  Any variation for depth (i.e. if you're fishing inshore in north NJ vs in 80+ ft in DE)?  I would think up in north NJ, you'd virtually be fishing straight mono (which many including Jerry prefer)...and maybe it doesn't really matter because if it's shallow, there isn't that much stretch to the mono anyway (or it's the same relative stretch regardless of depth since the length is the same).

This is the one I use most for 6 to 80lb braid, to florocarbon leader or splicing in mono to braid. 

I never knew what it's called but it's the Albright special.  I haven't had the knot slip on me yet, but according to the stats it's not the best knot...  VERY easy tie though in a pinch.   I also just use appropriate size and # test in-line swivels a lot. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+knots+to+join+braid+to+mono&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS829US829&biw=1366&bih=657&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=bvmrP7h840uf8M%3A%2CoQjiKWJzmn66LM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kSex69RMuX-KQSG1G1WtzCbaGpeEg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiyqLOKktffAhUx01kKHUdDAqUQ9QEwBHoECAIQDA#imgrc=bvmrP7h840uf8M:

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I used the FG knot for awhile but I have had it fail so I switched to the Alberto knot  which is very easy to tie and haven't had it fail yet. However after seeing this I may mess around with with a few others. As Hammer stated most of my rods are setup with topshots at home so I dont mind if it takes some time tying them. 

FYI went togging yesterday and we did great so anyone wondering if it's to late it isnt.