Question for the waterfowl hunters

I’m hunting a pond that’s near a river. The ducks use the pond from time to time. Had four mallards come in this morning to it. Yesterday nothing was moving. With the rain coming tonight and tomorrow morning will the ducks move or will they sit tight and wait for the rain to let up before moving. I’m new to the duck hunting thing so just looking for some advice on how they react to changes in the weather. Thanks 

Edited by iluv2hunt

Sometimes the answer is both. It’s more about the wind and the volume of rain I have found. I prefer days with fog, light rain, and light wind. I find that the ducks won’t fly high in the fog, are much more willing to decoy in light rain, and the breeze makes them easier to pattern in terms of their approach. All that being said, tomorrow is a toss up in my eyes. What I will say though is that I’m pretty confident any ducks in that pond, won’t leave that pond when the shooting starts. Rather, they will seek cover.

I agree with what those have posted above, bluebird days are not for duck hunting. The nastier and colder the weather the better the hunting is. On these types of days you can have action at anytime also, don’t leave if you don’t see them at first light or the first hour or so. Sometimes it gets really good as the day and crappy weather progresses

Sent via carrier pigeon

I don't know where your river/pond is, but ….. if I were going out to my spots in northwestern NJ tomorrow morning, I wouldn't give this weather too much thought. It looks to be showers with not much wind. Not a strong system that would drive birds.  Still, I would be in the pond. My 2 cents.

Good luck, and have fun. Surgery took away my hunting season this year.

Edited by Jim_