IGNORED

Muzzleloader bullet selection for USAK

DDS

I never really got into muzzleloader hunting, however I would like to give it a shot again. I have a Knight USAK muzzleloader that I got a few years ago. Over the past few years I was trying to get 300 grain FPB ammo to shoot out of it but after 15 rounds I have given up and would like to try something different. I couldnt get the FPB to hit consistently it was all over the 2'x2' target.

Anyone else have a USAK, if so what ammo are you using?

I was thinking of trying the XTP in ether 240 or 300 grain with a Black MMP sabot.
What would others suggest, is one weight better then the other? I could easily take 200 yard shots but most will be in the 100-150 yard range. 

Anyone using the FTX ammo? How does it compare to the XTP?

Hornady 240grain XTP with Harvester Crush Rib sabots. The bullets are the same used as reloading .45 pistol ammo. These come in boxes of 100. The sabots come in bags of 50. Cost per shot is significantly less than any of the projectiles marketed for muzzleloader use. The accuracy and knockdown power is the same or better than any of those"package of 10" loads

49 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

Hornady 240grain XTP with Harvester Crush Rib sabots. The bullets are the same used as reloading .45 pistol ammo. These come in boxes of 100. The sabots come in bags of 50. Cost per shot is significantly less than any of the projectiles marketed for muzzleloader use. The accuracy and knockdown power is the same or better than any of those"package of 10" loads

I am basically the same but use a .4o cal 180gr xtp's in my .45 knight with crushrib from harvester and blackhorn 209

As for bad grouping you have to work up your load and find what grain charge your gun likes. I'll start at 90 grains and go up in increments of 5 till I get tight grouping then fine tune from there plus or minus a couple grains, there is a sweet spot somewhere you just gotta find it, which is the reason I will never shoot pellets.