IGNORED

House well water maintenance

BowhunterNJ

22 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

You are lucky - pure water underground with no need for any treatment does exist, that should be included in the cost of your resale, it's not easy to find.    You have no water stains ever in your toilets, no issues with hard water at all?

I think the water is on the hard side, no odors. 

15 hours ago, CJ3a said:

Normally you wait until the pump craps out during a holiday weekend. Spend hours on the phone finding someone to fix it. Only to end up paying four times the usually amount to get it fixed.  Added points if you have a house full of out of town quest.   Other than that I have nothing.

I've had the septic pump go at Christmas time. A house full of family and my wife's " cooking" needless to say it was memorable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 9:17 PM, Nomad said:

I don't test mine and don't add any salt bs.  Since 1990.

If your water isn't hard and/or acidic, you're lucky.  Hard and acidic water is par for the course around here (Hunterdon County)-if your water is one or both of those, you probably go through water heaters, dishwashers, clothes washers, etc...often.  As for not having it tested in nearly 30 years, that's just dumb.  You have no idea how nearby development or any other factor may have affected your water during that time.  We use a Water Right softener and a Water Right neutralizer with good results.  We had elevated lead levels before closing, but it was due to the acidic water causing lead in the old brass fittings to leach out.  The neutralizer fixed that and the softener was a good investment as well.  I run a Buderus oil boiler so I can't afford crap water.   

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

27 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

If your water isn't hard and/or acidic, you're lucky.  Hard and acidic water is par for the course around here (Hunterdon County)-if your water is one or both of those, you probably go through water heaters, dishwashers, clothes washers, etc...often.  As for not having it tested in nearly 30 years, that's just dumb.  You have no idea how nearby development or any other factor may have affected your water during that time.  We use a Water Right softener and a Water Right neutralizer with good results.  We had elevated lead levels before closing, but it was due to the acidic water causing lead in the old brass fittings to leach out.  The neutralizer fixed that and the softener was a good investment as well.  I run a Buderus oil boiler so I can't afford crap water.   

Buddy I couldn't care less what you do or what kind of crap oil boiler you have. lol

Edited by Nomad

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Buddy I couldn't care less what you do or what kind of crap oil boiler you have. lol

Why the edit?  I liked it better when it just said "F--- You."  There's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things.  I find that the right way, while it might be more expensive and more time consuming, it usually works out better in the long run.  

7 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Why the edit?  I liked it better when it just said "F--- You."  There's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things.  I find that the right way, while it might be more expensive and more time consuming, it usually works out better in the long run.  

Now that you have seen my reaction, I will remove same, as not to offend others. lol

Edited by Nomad

23 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Now that you have seen my reaction, I will remove same, as not to offend others. lol

All I pointed out is that your water can change.  As recently as 75 years ago my house was fed by a 25' deep hand dug stone lined well-today I wouldn't drink that water if you paid me.  Why?  More intensive use of fertilizers and pesticides on the surrounding farms, lots of homes (ie: septic systems) built in the surrounding area during that time, and other factors.  Finally, for what it's worth, boilers are expensive, and good water chemistry is cheap insurance.  

Edited by Swamp_Yankee

Since this was brought up and I just saw the thread, a buddy and I recently purged my electric water heater. The unit was less than 10 years old and we bought it new. The amount of sediment build up was crazy. So bad it burned out the lower element unit...I replaced both elements and we purged the system out with a hose as best as possible. 

Definitely going to start using more salt in our water softener system to help the water heater. Sussex County has some hard water in spots without a doubt....

Just now, LPJR said:

Since this was brought up and I just saw the thread, a buddy and I recently purged my electric water heater. The unit was less than 10 years old and we bought it new. The amount of sediment build up was crazy. So bad it burned out the lower element unit...I replaced both elements and we purged the system out with a hose as best as possible. 

Definitely going to start using more salt in our water softener system to help the water heater. Sussex County has some hard water in spots without a doubt....

Calcium and iron KILL appliances.  The previous owner of my house was burning up water heaters like crazy before he put in a softener.