IGNORED

The slight "quarter to" shot - WORST ANGLE IMHO

JHbowhunter

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

How about this shot? Personally, I wouldn't have made that shot. I think the kid got lucky. Didn't have to track it far though, and a good blood trail made it easy to find. :bonk:

I made the same shot on a deer about 5 years ago with a crossbow at 15 yds. Just spun around and died. Could see the blood gushing as it turned. 

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I made the same shot on a deer about 5 years ago with a crossbow at 15 yds. Just spun around and died. Could see the blood gushing as it turned. 

I think it's better than two shot angles taken in  the video link I posted. That's a shot -where I would want a big ass mechanical to just tear it all up heading over or through heart and into lung area, knowing I won't have two holes.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

How about this shot? Personally, I wouldn't have made that shot. I think the kid got lucky. Didn't have to track it far though, and a good blood trail made it easy to find. :bonk:

Inside of 20 yrds it is very lethal and common in elk hunting..  he did not get lucky he put the arrow where it needed to be..

4 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Inside of 20 yrds it is very lethal and common in elk hunting..  he did not get lucky he put the arrow where it needed to be..

the more I look at that - it's not straight on and it probably double lunged the elk.  Very front of right lung, very back of left lung.  Top of heart too or the arteries at minimum. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

8 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

the more I look at that - it's not straight on and it probably double lunged the elk.  Very front of right lung, very back of left lung.  Top of heart too or the arteries at minimum. 

Im thinking juglar

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Just now, Live to Hunt said:

Would never take the shot with bow never even crossed my mind. Broadside or quartering away. 

Todd the issue is  - these are TV show professionals, and even  they didn't realize how the deer were not "quartering to".....      Its such a slight angle - if the same angle were reversed and quartering away, it's NEVER and issue and always a dead deer and probably "drop in sight"....       That is the message here.   ONCE A DEER GOES FROM BROADSIDE TO QUARTERNG "TO" - THE GAME CHANGES DRAMATICALLY

I shot a big 10pt once….

6 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Todd the issue is  - these are TV show professionals, and even  they didn't realize how the deer were not "quartering to".....      Its such a slight angle - if the same angle were reversed and quartering away, it's NEVER and issue and always a dead deer and probably "drop in sight"....       That is the message here.   ONCE A DEER GOES FROM BROADSIDE TO QUARTERNG "TO" - THE GAME CHANGES DRAMATICALLY

Did I miss something 

7F3C6787-41C5-478D-A192-AA1591850697.jpeg

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

4 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I've taken many shots there.   Farthest was under 20 yards, usually 10 or a little farther.   All died in sight with a red carpet trail.  My broadside and angling away shots don't come close to that recovery percentage.  Especially while elevated,  the arrow will pass through the heart before coming out the bottom behind the legs.   Not a shot to take if you take long shots, but it's very deadly up close, taking into account one can hit where they aim.

Edited by Greybeard

Good video and insight from the dad. However, without the luxury of video, I guarantee they, and 99% of hunters, would be swearing to heaven that they made a perfect shot. 

To your point JH, just like you sometimes don’t realize the Deer has taken a slight step sideways (because you’re eiter focused on your POA which is good, or antlers, which is bad😱!) and now gives you a QT shot angle, it looks like a perfect shot going in, but the angle makes it less than perfect overall, and sometimes a lost Deer. 

Side note, did any of you see a scar from the first time he shot it? I thought I did but then another angle it didn’t appear to have a scar.