IGNORED

The slight "quarter to" shot - WORST ANGLE IMHO

JHbowhunter

3 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Good video and insight from the dad. However, without the luxury of video, I guarantee they, and 99% of hunters, would be swearing to heaven that they made a perfect shot. 

To your point JH, just like you sometimes don’t realize the Deer has taken a slight step sideways (because you’re eiter focused on your POA which is good, or antlers, which is bad😱!) and now gives you a QT shot angle, it looks like a perfect shot going in, but the angle makes it less than perfect overall, and sometimes a lost Deer. 

Side note, did any of you see a scar from the first time he shot it? I thought I did but then another angle it didn’t appear to have a scar. 

Yeah I am struggling to see that the second shot is the same buck a year later.  Just not seeing it at all, In fact I thought the first shot was very similar to the hit I made on an Ohio buck in 2017, which resulted in a 600 yard tracking job and miracle recovery so I feel that their first shot buck never survived to be shot at again a year later and 30" smaller. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

14 hours ago, archer36 said:

I made the same shot on a deer about 5 years ago with a crossbow at 15 yds. Just spun around and died. Could see the blood gushing as it turned. 

From the ground its an easy and deadly shot. The target isn't as small. I shot this one in October from the ground, complete pass through deer went down in less than 30 yards.

168221851_MdNaBGoZ.jpg

Edited by Lunatic

13 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Todd the issue is  - these are TV show professionals, and even  they didn't realize how the deer were not "quartering to".....      Its such a slight angle - if the same angle were reversed and quartering away, it's NEVER and issue and always a dead deer and probably "drop in sight"....       That is the message here.   ONCE A DEER GOES FROM BROADSIDE TO QUARTERNG "TO" - THE GAME CHANGES DRAMATICALLY

Good point. I have shot several deer, thinking perfect broad shot, only to learn deer was quartering to or away. Last light, early light, some distance and  the excitement and its very easy to get it wrong.

14 hours ago, maximus66 said:

You are correct, anytime blood just comes out like a running hose its a main artery or vein. Lungs and heart are pulsating squirts

Sent via carrier pigeon

I saw two deer hit in the rear leg femoral artery. The blood trail looked like it was spray painted. Not a shot you wish for but very lethal. 

18 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

If you must take the slight quartering to shot, better to be higher and back - just look at how those lungs angle...  

Neither shot in that episode accomplished that.  I tried to mark the bad hits from the video in  yellow, and where I think a better shot for the slight quarter to would be in green. 

deer anatomy_qtr to.jpg

This is my last quartering to shot. Deer was relaxed, drinking water with front legs spread wide apart and he went 100 yards. I think I hit your green dot:-) it was slight quarter but the key is to hit it high

DE2B8F54-11FB-4800-9172-17A206C4C0BD.jpeg

i have taken and killed many with a slight quartering shot but i aim little higher and closer to shoulder the straight on shot i took one time  at a real nice 9 point shooting a mountaineer compound at about 96 lb's  sunk all but 8 " of arrow in the deer fell straight down and pushed itself way with back legs following year in six day a club killed  a buck with what looked like my arrow and broadhead in it....

Bingo, i remember a show long ago where Steve Bartkowski shot a buck straight from behind in the ass as it walked under him. Said he was aiming for the femoral artery WTF

Sent via carrier pigeon

The old “Texas heart shot” as they call it. Not a smart shot, but lots of gun hunters take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

25 yds slight quartering to shot.....25 feet up in tree....Hoyt 70 lbs Rage hypodermic ...carbon express Maxima red 350.....deer ran away heard crashing.....huge body...old deer.....not a big fan of shot but felt confident....had exit hole however not a complete pass through....arrow shaft snapped off while running away.....he ran into thicket...played it safe backed out recovered him in the morning....Rage hypodermics are incredible!!!

IMG_20181130_070216555.jpg

I do not like a quartering shot, to much chance of deflection, I usually wait for broad side

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Agreed however shooting from the height I was at felt it was ok...I wouldn't take an "iffy" shot.....alot of practice however it is bowhunting....an inch left or right makes a difference as we know....good luck to all...hope everyone had a great season so far....