IGNORED

(Ford Wins) Lets talk PU trucks - 1500 series, 6cyl, Ford vs Chevy vs Ram

JHbowhunter

Jack, just curious why you want to stick with the 6 over an 8?  Just to save gas, better mileage?

Ford shaved off nearly 1,000 lbs by going aluminum. No need for a big, gas guzzler 8 cylinder. Add twin turbos and you have all the power you need. My next truck will be a lightly used F150 four door crew cab with 6 cylinder eco boost and 4 wheel drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, for the Chevy 1500, here is the gov link to the fuel economy.  Looks like little difference unless I'm not reading it right.  17 (8 cylinder worst case) vs 20 (6 cylinder best case). 

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2018&year2=2018&make=Chevrolet&baseModel=Silverado&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&sortBy=Comb&tabView=0&rowLimit=200

3 miles per gallon difference would cost about $314 a year more assuming 15,000 miles of driving annually and a fuel cost of $2.37 comparing 20 vs 17 MPG

Here's a cool little calculator for it:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.jsp

I like trucks but I find them very inconvenient  for hunting. Every time I hunt I change right at the truck and with SUV everything is right there in the back, at the right height and easy reach.  Even getting my deer on the cargo carrier is easier then into a truck. I had a truck and it wasn't for me but I have access to Pick ups at work so if I need one for something else I can always get one.

A 6-cyl is not a truck.  You will hate yourself when you realize that while towing you don't have the power you expect.

When I got my Ram 2500, the dealer wouldn't sell it to me with the 5.7L engine in it.  He told me to get the 6.4L or else he wouldn't sell me the truck for the same reason I mention above.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

1 minute ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

A 6-cyl is not a truck.  You will hate yourself when you realize that while towing you don't have the power you expect.

When I got my Ram 2500, the dealer wouldn't sell it to me with the 5.7L engine in it.  He told me to get the 6.4L or else he wouldn't sell me the truck for the same reason I mention above.

my 6cyl Jeep tows all I need - why would PU with 6cyl engine be any diff?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

It wouldn’t. Too many guys will only look at life through their own “lens” and are unable to understand your needs are different. If you were towing a big camper things would be different. My Camry can tow a quad, lol.

5 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I like trucks but I find them very inconvenient  for hunting. Every time I hunt I change right at the truck and with SUV everything is right there in the back, at the right height and easy reach.  Even getting my deer on the cargo carrier is easier then into a truck. I had a truck and it wasn't for me but I have access to Pick ups at work so if I need one for something else I can always get one.

that is also my concern - will I regret getting a PU when have had 2 explorers followed by 2 jeeps. I can easily load a 180# buck myself on the carrier rack, not sure I would get that in a PU by myself.  Plus everything goes INSIDE the jeep and stays dry.   

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

There are usually transmission changes that also come with the engine size and other things too.

If you're going to get something to haul, make sure that it has it's own transmission coolant and oil coolant system.  They may come standard now, but I doubt you'd see them in a 6-cyl model vehicle as a standard or an option.  You may also not get the same class hitch on the back, which may or may not be an issue, but I'm always keen to have a class IV or better hitch if I am towing anything.  Sure, my wife's Subaru has a hitch, but I would never attach anything to it.

Most 6-cyl truck are capable of towing, but most manufacturers don't consider a 6-cyl to be a serious towing vehicle.  Just something to keep in mind.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

that is also my concern - will I regret getting a PU when have had 2 explorers followed by 2 jeeps. I can easily load a 180# buck myself on the carrier rack, not sure I would get that in a PU by myself.  Plus everything goes INSIDE the jeep and stays dry.   

I have a cover on the back of mine that folds and is water tight.  It's also removable.  When I drove to NH to hunt, all of the gear was in the bed under the cover, and it was all dry the whole time.  I can remove the cover if I ever need to move a fridge or some obnoxious furniture.  Best of both worlds.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

11 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Wait till you have to get everything out from the back seat. A major PITA.
Pick ups are great and I couldn't do without it when I was young, no money and fixing my own house I could hardly make payments on. That guy is no longer here. I have no need for a pick up. Are you really going to use the bed of the truck enough to justify inconvenience of not having easy access to your gear from the back? How about the ride? I too drive  jeep grand Cherokee and that's a comfortable ride you will never get from any pick up.

Edited by Lunatic

26 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

It wouldn’t. Too many guys will only look at life through their own “lens” and are unable to understand your needs are different. If you were towing a big camper things would be different. My Camry can tow a quad, lol.

90% of guys with pick ups never come even close to using the power available under the hood. Its a waist of money. Its almost like 16' bass boats in Florida with two 200 HP engines:-)

Edited by Lunatic

19 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

There are usually transmission changes that also come with the engine size and other things too.

If you're going to get something to haul, make sure that it has it's own transmission coolant and oil coolant system.  They may come standard now, but I doubt you'd see them in a 6-cyl model vehicle as a standard or an option.  You may also not get the same class hitch on the back, which may or may not be an issue, but I'm always keen to have a class IV or better hitch if I am towing anything.  Sure, my wife's Subaru has a hitch, but I would never attach anything to it.

Most 6-cyl truck are capable of towing, but most manufacturers don't consider a 6-cyl to be a serious towing vehicle.  Just something to keep in mind.

What he is hauling  can be pulled with Honda Civic :happywave:

Edited by Lunatic

A wise and frugal old man told me once that when you see cars/trucks as more than transportation from one place to another, you are going to waste a lot of money.  Boring......

Well, I never followed that advice. lol You only live once and I want the biggest heaviest duty truck I can get.  I do load it full of firewood  and pull a camper from time to time.  And I love the sound of the diesel engine.  Makes me happy to know I have the something heavy duty.   It's the American way!  You can't do that in France! Nothing runs like a diesel...

Edited by Nomad

21 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Wait till you have to get everything out from the back seat. A major PITA.
Pick ups are great and I couldn't do without it when I was young, no money and fixing my own house I could hardly make payments on. That guy is no longer here. I have no need for a pick up. Are you really going to use the bed of the truck enough to justify inconvenience of not having easy access to your gear from the back? How about the ride? I too drive  jeep grand Cherokee and that's a comfortable ride you will never get from any pick up.

You have to take a ride in my Ram 2500.  Thing rides like a Caddy.  Yeah, it's still a truck, but it's the best riding truck I've ever owned.

It also has a ginormous back seat.  But I still have a problem reaching all of my gear because I have stubby arms.  They can't reach that far back!  :)

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.