DDS

Issue with crossbow pattern

I have had my crossbow for 4-5 years now and put maybe 200 shots through it in that time. My issue it, even since new, is I cant shoot fixed blade broad heads. At first it wasnt a issue but after loosing 2 deer to the mechanicals not opening on impact, and no blood to follow and 2 complete misses due to them opening in flight, I would prefer to use fixed blades less things to go wrong. 

My issue is I cant get them to fly consistently. Field point and mechanicals fly perfect and have great groups. As soon as I put a fixed blade on I cant hit a 2' foam block at 20 yards consistently. I have tried three different heads that came highly recommended for cross bows and none worked. Trocar, Muzzy 3, Magnus,  all 125  gain. My bow shoots 20" arrows. A friend of mine got a new xbow, different make then mine, and he shoots Muzzy 3 out of it no issues also 20" bolts. 

What could cause this or what could I check to make it more accurate?

6 minutes ago, Joeybeets said:

Have you checked the bolts holding your scope onto your x-bow they can loosen and throw everything out of whack...

Could be if everything was off.  But if FPs and expandables fly ok but fixed heads don't, then scope must be holding true

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr12gauge said:

get that tool that you roll the arrows on. see if the heads have a wobble.

Good idea too.  Spin test them.  They should spin clean.  Also does it happen with ALL your bolts or just a couple?

The crossbow is a Barnett Jackel. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the name of the bolts I have some brand I bought and the factory ones that came with the bow. All fly with the same irradic pattern.

No I don’t have a 2’ group but I easily have a 1’ or slightly more average group, a few times I have missed the block or clipped the edge. I might get 2-3 arrows to hit the same location then I shoot them again thinking those are good bolts and they are not even close to each other the next time I shoot. Then I switch to field points or my mechanical target heads and all arrows hit the target almost the same spot. 

Edited by DDS

Go over all bolts and screws on it. Maybe something loose. As for trying 3 different fixed blade and none fly consistent you may want to set each head to line up with your vanes. They can fly differently if not set the same as each one. Another thing is to mark each bolt vane with a number. Take note if it is the same one flying differently, one or two may not be straight. Fixed blades will not hit the same as a field point where a mechanical will. So you will have to sight in with fixed blades. They will hit differently cause of the wind on the blades most of the time (left or right). 

As for mechanicals try the NAP Spittfires 3 blade. I have been shooting them for years with a compound and crossbow. They have been a super broadhead. Fly the same as field points. 

What mechanicals did you shoot and lose 2 deer with? Rage?

• Like 2

I’m notnvery familiar with your particular crossbow, and even though it’s a lower end model, you should still be able to maintain fairly consistent arrow flight when using the same arrow/Head combination. 

The only other situation I’ve run into, even in high crossbows, that cause erratic POI is if the screws holding the rail to the stock get loose. When that happens, depending on how you rest the crossbow when Shooting, it can cause the stock to move separately from the rail section, thus throwing off the consistency of your POI. 

Try shooting a heavier bolt and 150 grain boltcutter heads.  A stiffer bolt, heavier front, and smaller head should help.  

• Agree 1

Check for cam lean, timing.  Are you shooting the correct nock for your bow?  A poorly released arrow with a fixed head won't correct itself as quickly as a field point or mech will.  I had the same thing going on with a new bow until I had new cables and strings put on at simon peter.  They did a good job setting it up correctly.  Did you set the collar correctly on the mechanicals?

1 foot group at 20 yards means there is something drastically wrong with your set up.

I would recomend having a shop check it over well.

Even the lezst expensive crossbows should shoot under an inch at 20 yards

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Winner 1

You definitely have a cam lean and timing issue.  Had same issue with my fathers. Being my press does not do crossbows, yet, I took it to Strictly archery. Ray set the timing and cam lean. Xbox shoots fixed blades out to 40 yards with field points. 

Also buy an arrow spinner and trueing tool.