IGNORED

New Muzzleloader

Bad64chevelle

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 9:12 PM, Buck154 said:

Keep us posted on how it shoots. I started a thead cause i want to get a new muzzy too. Cva is what i might get from a lot of the comments i got. I will bring the post up and you can look through it. 

Well I got out this morning with a buddy over at colliers mills , and I am THOROUGHLY impressed with the optima v2 . Manual notes to use white hots and power belts , so I bought some Hornady’s , powerbelts , triple 7 pellets and white hots . I figured I’d start there . Cleaned the gun completely last night , and used my rrather crude bore sight to get the sight on paper at least . Went over loaded two white hots , and a 250g aerolite power belt , settled in and squeezed the trigger . 50 yards , 1” high from bullseye. I couldn’t believe that . Needless to say I left it there , figured the gun with the power belts likes a clean bore being second shots were 2” high and 1” right . Shot it at 100 and it was spot on . I didn’t even load the gun with the hornadys or the triple 7 I figured there was no sense in messing around just yet , leave it sighted in and hunt with it this week with the power belts and white hots  and call it a Christmas miracle that I didn’t need to chase the gun around on paper today . Have a merry Christmas all ! 

9 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

My advise with the power belts is to stay a bit forward of where u would aim with bow and a touch higher.   Try to hit bone...  I try to break shoulder with muzzy slug or rifle usually anchors them in place...  not hitting bone may result in a deer running due to them not expanding 

While that may have been true with the "old" Powerbelts, the new Aerolites are much better. 

I have never shot a gun, but am interested in this thread. I'm going to take the hunter safety course and either get a CVA muzzy or a Savage 220 to try next season. Don't really think I will hunt with it much, but may give it a try. I think I have it narrowed down to those 2 choices, but I really have no clue where to begin.

54 minutes ago, Lphunsjr said:

I have never shot a gun, but am interested in this thread. I'm going to take the hunter safety course and either get a CVA muzzy or a Savage 220 to try next season. Don't really think I will hunt with it much, but may give it a try. I think I have it narrowed down to those 2 choices, but I really have no clue where to begin.

Either way you can't go wrong, but I think you will get more bang for your buck with a muzzleloader 

1 hour ago, Lphunsjr said:

Larry I own a 220 and now the CVA and they’re both great options . I love my 220 it’s easy and ridiculously accurate with the accutips . If you’re having trouble deciding let me know , and maybe we can meet up at colliers and you can shoot both and make your decision . 

3 hours ago, BHC said:

Either way you can't go wrong, but I think you will get more bang for your buck with a muzzleloader 

Like I said, not a gun guy at all. Thinking I may like to find something for turkey and deer,,,,universal, interchangeable?? Assuming that would be a shotgun