IGNORED

New Muzzleloader

Bad64chevelle

After all this time I have finally decided to purchase my first muzzleloader . I picked up a CVA optima v2 this morning , some primers , some triple7 pellets , and some traditions 250g (hornady sst) . I plan to head to colliers or r14 this upcoming week and begin to sight it in . 

I'd like to hear from any of you who may own one what your setup powder and bullet are . 

Ive heard good and bad things about the powerbelt , not sure what your take is on them . I'm completely new to this , I've only fired a muzzleloader once or twice since I took my hunter education . Also any advice for a rookie muzzleloader hunter ? Thanks all have a great weekend . 

I use and love powerbelt, 245gr HP.  I keep it simple, 100gr (2 pellets) of pyrodex and I’m good to go.  Prepare to spend some time at the range learning the nuances of your gun.  You’ll read a lot of varying opinions about sighting in and shooting, keeping zero, clean barrel-fouled barrel, etc.  put the time in and it will be well worth it, of all the rifles I own I trust my muzzy most (T/C Encore). 

First off good luck with your new toy!!!

Stay away from Powebelts, they group well but they are crap on game. I love the 250 grain BARNES T-EZ, accurate and deadly on game.  I don't own a CVA, but they are excellent.  I do use the above mentioned BARNES, with two pellets of TRIPLE 7 MAGNUM PELLETS from my TC TRIUMPH 

I used Powerbelts for many years primarily because they were easy to load in a fouled barrel. The last ones I used were the Aerolites. They are relatively expensive. Everything I shot with them died easily. I have been using a specialized muzzle loader bullet called Scorpion PT Gold for a few years and are happy with them. Loading is fairly easy even in a moderately fouled barrel. 

I don't own a muzzy, but a couple weeks ago I was talking to some friends that have hunted with muzzies for a long time. Had two guys tell me that stopped using the pellets because they seem to lose some of their power after sitting around for a couple years. They would put them in ziplock bags and tried other ways to keep moisture out, but they said it never failed- the older the pellets got, the less energy they produced presumably because they absorb moisture over time. They told me they went back to powder because of this. If you do use pellets, buy fresh ones every year or two, or at least check what their shelf life is supposed to be.

Take that for what its worth - I have no idea because I don't have first-hand experience.

I own a CVA Accura V2, 2 triple 7s and Aerolite power belts 1 inch  groups to 100 +. Every deer dropped within 30yds. Shot a big doe at around 125 yds today hard quartering away, aim point last rib blew out through the lower neck , lungs and heart destroyed. She went around 25-30 yds. 

Try different loads but without a doubt try what is mentioned above but remember every gun is different. 

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

I don't own a muzzy, but a couple weeks ago I was talking to some friends that have hunted with muzzies for a long time. Had two guys tell me that stopped using the pellets because they seem to lose some of their power after sitting around for a couple years. They would put them in ziplock bags and tried other ways to keep moisture out, but they said it never failed- the older the pellets got, the less energy they produced presumably because they absorb moisture over time. They told me they went back to powder because of this. If you do use pellets, buy fresh ones every year or two, or at least check what their shelf life is supposed to be.

Take that for what its worth - I have no idea because I don't have first-hand experience.

I have never found that to be true, I keep the pellets in a dry place....but I can see it maybe true if kept in a moist area

2 hours ago, midwestxpress said:

Some guns shoot powder better than pellets, or vice versa. I buy Hornady bullets by the box and buy the sabots separate. I'd call the manufacturer they may be able to set you in the right direction without driving yourself crazy.

Agreed with buying separate bullets and sabots. I shoot .45 cal. hornady xtp handgun bullet with a t/c sabot in my 50 cal cva wolf and shoot 100 gr of pyrodex RS loose powder and shoot clover leafs at 100 yards out of that cheap gun...shoots the hell out of many more expensive rigs. I’d love to shoot some white hots out if it to help with cleanup but I’ve had this jug of RS laying around for years and I told myself to use it up before switching over. It’s a good setup that shoots great and kills critters nicely but the cleanup kinda sucks. 

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"