IGNORED

Closing pheasant farm just sad.

Liv2huntnfish123

wow I feel bad for all those that have bird dogs and spend a lot of time and money on the state lands, taking the risk of getting shot by idiots, just to get their two pheasants.

It really is unfortunate - I started doing just that, about 40 years ago, although have not done it in about 25 years (just some private stocked lands on occasion).

The only silver lining is that the stocked areas might show a return of some deer for the bow-hunters, but again - pheasant hunting is a very long standing tradition and I am sad to see the program end.   Hopefully the trout program can not fall into the same trap and they can turn that around and produce brown and brook trout again soon.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Program isn't ending. State is going to buy birds from  private sources - they just aren't going to raise their own birds.:

https://njfishandwildlife.com/rockport.htm#future

"Recognizing the challenge ahead, the Fish and Game Council voted in February to expand the purchase of adult pheasants to satisfy 100% of the birds needed for the stocking program. While there are several procurement challenges associated with this approach, we expect to fully implement this plan in 2019. As a result, no pheasants will be reared at the Rockport Pheasant Farm in 2019, provided that we are successful in developing the necessary contracts with outside vendors to purchase these birds."

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I am willing to bet that  buying them is MUCH cheaper than raising them on state farm.
The government has no ability or o operate like a profitable business.
I don't see any problem with this.

It says by buying the pheasant they are saving a couple hundred thousand dollars a year which is awesome. Money that can be allocated to other programs  or buying more birds than they produced before

Most of this years birds have been bought from 3rd parties, ive noticed that they have been better flyers than in years past as well.

There is no comparison to bought birds compared to the Rockport Rockets. Rockports birds took off like wild birds, the bought birds fly like chickens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

It says by buying the pheasant they are saving a couple hundred thousand dollars a year which is awesome. Money that can be allocated to other programs  or buying more birds than they produced before

Don’t kid yourself, they will not buy one extra bird. The numbers of guys at the WMA’s i hunt is way down, that will be reflected in stamp sales next year and they will use it to cut numbers numbers of birds due to revenue loss

AWM

Program isn't ending. State is going to buy birds from  private sources - they just aren't going to raise their own birds.:
https://njfishandwildlife.com/rockport.htm#future
"Recognizing the challenge ahead, the Fish and Game Council voted in February to expand the purchase of adult pheasants to satisfy 100% of the birds needed for the stocking program. While there are several procurement challenges associated with this approach, we expect to fully implement this plan in 2019. As a result, no pheasants will be reared at the Rockport Pheasant Farm in 2019, provided that we are successful in developing the necessary contracts with outside vendors to purchase these birds."

There are a lot of problems with public procurement and drives up costs immensely. I deal with it daily, a public entity will usually have to pay 60% more for a good or service because of the procurement laws and lack of flexibility in cost savings derived from increased insurance requirements, etc. placed on vendors dealing with governmental institutions

AWM

Sad to see it go.....but these are the times....and no good things last forever.  I remember having a tour there while at Rutgers and meeting facility superintendent Ackerman and he was a nice guy and dedicated employee......he really knew his business and how to raise quality pheasants known as "Rockport Rockets".  I used to find these Rockets in places miles away from where they were stocked, and no semi-wilds were near either.

I predict the state will lease out the property to farmers so NJDFW can profit from it, the farmers can make their money off it, and the local license buying constituents will be left out holding the drippings still looking for a place to hunt even though they live down the road from a WMA......but the fields will be strip mined by leasing farmers......but that's just my past precedence prediction.  If it were up to me..........let it return to early successional habitat then manage it for a variety of wildlife species.  Oh yeah, and if there are abandoned buildings, barns, etc......demolish them or cancel the safety zone violation for them.....as 1 building on a WMA omits approximately 8 acres of huntable area due to the safety zone

Edited by Bonefreak

wasn't there a big mishap at the rockport facility a year or two ago that led to a huge percentage of the birds dying off? i think that was the nail in the coffin.

A snow storm about five years ago and it has zero to do with this decision. Zero. Avian flu is driving the state out of the pheasant rearing business. Hunters still get the same number of stocked birds and we save hundreds of thousands. And no employees lost their jobs. A win for NJ hunters.

A snow storm about five years ago and it has zero to do with this decision. Zero. Avian flu is driving the state out of the pheasant rearing business. Hunters still get the same number of stocked birds and we save hundreds of thousands. And no employees lost their jobs. A win for NJ hunters.

Brian, i respectfully disagree on one point. The birds will in no way compare to the Rockport Rockets as I stated above. And if the projection is to save hundreds of thousands is the win you’re referring to a reduction in stamp fee? Otherwise this really isn’t a win to the pheasant hunter by paying the same fee for lack luster birds

AWM