IGNORED

Electrical question

Lunatic

With all the rain we had this year, for the first time since i own the house, 28 years, water found its way into my basement.
I improved several things outside but it didn't correct the problem. The only solution left was to dig a sump pit.
This part is completed and it works great.
here is my question: Pump instructions call for GFCI receptacle. I have receptacle right above the pit but its not GFCI.
Do I need one? In my, maybe ignorant mind on this subject, I question the need for one. Why would I want this receptacle ever tripping? (Forget the codes, I don't care what they say, its my house. )
So do I need one and why?

Thanks in advance

E530CCD9-B72E-465E-B319-F88488E295F5.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic

I wouldnt worry about the moisture tripping the gfi outlet.  A bathroom after a hot shower will have a lot more moisture in the air than a basement ever would and there aren't problems with them tripping in bathrooms.  I did the same exact job as you a few years ago and input in a gfi with no issues.  

Just now, MikeStaten said:

I wouldnt worry about the moisture tripping the gfi outlet.  A bathroom after a hot shower will have a lot more moisture in the air than a basement ever would and there aren't problems with them tripping in bathrooms.  I did the same exact job as you a few years ago and input in a gfi with no issues.  

Ok thanks everyone. With the outlet only +- 3' above the pit I did worry about tripping due to moisture but what you said makes sense to me. GFIC outlet is cheap enough to get it done.
Thanks

4 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

For 100 years we put sump pumps on regular receptacles. Like in my house, I would use a single receptacle, non GFI, so nothing else can be plugged in.

Is there an advantage of non GFI for this purpose or its just not worth changing to GFI at this point?