IGNORED

Gas prices....

LPJR

20 minutes ago, fathernature said:

Price is one thing but also consider top tier fuels.

https://clark.com/cars/top-tier-gas-stations-clean-engine-aaa/

The trouble with that is the gas station you buy from, including Exxon Mobil, may be selling gas produced by another company.  I noticed the other day a Marathon fuel delivery at my local Exxon Mobil for example.  Just because it says one thing on the sign doesn't mean that is who refined the gasoline or diesel you are buying.   

14 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

After the Exxon Valdez disaster, I've never got gas from them ever again. 

I have done exactly the same and it was based upon their attitude and the way they handled it. What I can't understand is why people are willing to pay that huge difference/

I was told that all of the tankers going to the refineries for gas get regular from one hose and premium from another. They then each add their own additive to it for whatever they advertise but they all get the same gas.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

11 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

I have done exactly the same and it was based upon their attitude and the way they handled it. What I can't understand is why people are willing to pay that huge difference/

I was told that all of the tankers going to the refineries for gas get regular from one hose and premium from another. They then each add their own additive to it for whatever they advertise but they all get the same gas.

My father worked for Exxon at the time and I told him that I refused to get gas there. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

3 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

My father worked for Exxon at the time and I told him that I refused to get gas there. 

Same here.  My closest station when I head north from my house is an Exxon Mobil on 206 S in Flanders.  I maybe buy there twice a year, but only because I'm rolling past with the gas light on for the last 20 minutes.  Otherwise, I keep driving to cheaper fuel.  Back when I was a corporate salesman and had a company car, I filled up whenever I needed gas and didn't worry too much about price.  But as long as it comes out of my own pocket, I shop and always know the best prices.  My wife has become a Costco junkie and can hit the one between us and her work every week to take advantage of their low gas prices.    

Gas prices change daily.  So each delivery of gas to the station changes price frequently.  When prices rise, the station can make more money because the gas they bought the day before costs them less money.  When prices drop, the stations make less money because they are selling the gas at a loss.  Rarely do gas stations make any money because of these frequent changes in the price of gas they get delivered.  I have a buddy who owns a gas station who explained this to me.  It's also the reason why gas stations with mechanics are becoming a thing of the past.  All of the gas stations now how convenience stores attached to them, and that's where they make all of their money.

So the difference could be due to one station getting a lot of inexpensive gas days earlier and the one across the street got a more recent shipment that cost more.  Alternatively, the cheaper gas could be being used as what's known as a "loss leader".  Cheaper gas means more people will show up to fill their tanks up.  Then they'll go inside and buy a few things and be on their way.  A "loss leader" is something you sell for a loss that leads people to your retail establishment.  Walmart and most other large box stores do this knowing that you'll spend more money once you get there, and that additional spend will cover the loss.

Lots of ways to look at this other than just greed.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

11 hours ago, LPJR said:

This past week in Lafayette (just north of Sparta)

*Quick Check on the southbound corner of Rt 15 had gas priced at $2.39 for regular/credit.

*Exxon on the northbound corner of Rt 15 (across the street) it was $2.79 for the same gas and grade.

Why the discrepancy, and is this normal where you are? 

It's hunting season...we got plenty to talk about.

12 hours ago, LPJR said:

This past week in Lafayette (just north of Sparta)

*Quick Check on the southbound corner of Rt 15 had gas priced at $2.39 for regular/credit.

*Exxon on the northbound corner of Rt 15 (across the street) it was $2.79 for the same gas and grade.

Why the discrepancy, and is this normal where you are? 

There's a shell in Clinton right off 78 $3.75 go 100 yards up little station,$2.43 I thought there was a law,price gouging?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

The Mom & Pop stations buy there gas from one of the few major oil companies, they buy whatever is the cheapest at the time...so if today the cheapest is from exxon/mobil, and 2 weeks shell is cheapest that is what they do.....My neighbor owns a no name gas station with a convenience store I had asked him months ago what brand gas he gets, and that is what he told me he and other Mom & Pop places do, in fact he showed me invoices of a few months, and sure enough the Oil company changed with purchases. As far as transportation is concerned, it use to be the major oil companies delivered their gas to their gas stations, now they contract it out to places like Marathon

28 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

There's a shell in Clinton right off 78 $3.75 go 100 yards up little station,$2.43 I thought there was a law,price gouging?

That's when there is a gas shortage which is the opposite of where we are today.  Supply and demand.  If someone can't compete, they go out of business.  But the American way is to make as much $$ as you can.  If you own the hot corner and people are willing to pay you more, go for it.  Consumers have tons of choices, especially in states like NJ where the next gas station is nearly always in sight of wherever you are driving.    

4 hours ago, maximus66 said:

Route 202 near the north maple ave exit has an exxon still at $3.29 for regular cash, credit is 10 cents more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a typo?

I'm seeing it at 2.27 near me

Edited by 3Blade

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

6 hours ago, Bojaffa said:

40 cents per gallon is a lot. Maybe they are just to lazy to change the numbers. Quick Check is going to put that place out of business. 

Agreed. I rarely see a car getting fuel at those pumps....