IGNORED

Saskatchewan 2018

electric10162

On 12/5/2018 at 8:55 PM, stratocaster said:

With the great expanse of land and the deer spread out I wonder how many deer would be taken if baiting wasn't allowed. 

A lot. Actually a lot of deer up there.  Saskatchewan is a northern dessert.  Very cold, but the Rockies take most of the moisture out of the eastward moving fronts.  They did have an unusual and high deer kill due to heavy snow some years back.

It is a lot harder to guide someone without bait.  Much easier to put a hunter in a leave him all day.  Plus you know what is coming in to the bait with the camera and can place hunters accordingly .  Kind of the same as here bait vs no bait. Not knocking baiting, just the reality.

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

A lot. Actually a lot of deer up there.  Saskatchewan is a northern dessert.  Very cold, but the Rockies take most of the moisture out of the eastward moving fronts.  They did have an unusual and high deer kill due to heavy snow some years back.

It is a lot harder to guide someone without bait.  Much easier to put a hunter in a leave him all day.  Plus you know what is coming in to the bait with the camera and can place hunters accordingly .  Kind of the same as here bait vs no bait. Not knocking baiting, just the reality.

It's crazy how many deer there are hunting the forest fringe. Some of my sits last year had deer coming through all day.

21 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Did you ever drive around in the evening thru the farm lands?  We saw hundreds of deer in the fields.  No snow one year.  

We drove around for one day last year after tagging out. I could not believe how many deer we saw during the middle of the day...bucks too! And the tracks!

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

I'm not knocking baiting either, I was wondering since they have fewer deer per sq/mi in the outfitter areas than in the southern ag areas if the outfitters pushed the game depts to allow baiting so they would have better harvests/hunter.  Before they baited the guides would set us up on cut lines through the forest that were almost 2 miles long  and about 400-500' wide.  The deer would be drawn to those lines because of the grass and easy travel but if we saw 5-10 deer a day we were lucky. 

image.png.f1d8978c80cddc8d052cfb43207f16d4.png