IGNORED

Question for the driving gang

midwestxpress

I definitely get it.  It seems like an overwhelming force of guys who do quite a bit of killing in a short period of time.  But on the same token they are trying to fill many freezers in a 6-day period.  If the same number of deer were distributed throughout the year, would it considered the same?  They've been doing it a LONG time now and the herd (when managed properly, pre-unlimited antlerless) has shown to thrive pretty well.  Granted, many of us would love to see those younger bucks get older and bigger...myself included.  I can't say I'm "happy" about them killing the bucks they do, but I understand it and still respect and support their method and goals.  

On 12/2/2018 at 2:39 PM, toxo said:

All well and good but my point is it is UNFAIR to the guy's that have  spent the time to scout an area, set up a stand only to have 20 yo-bucks come thru at 9 am  chasing everything away.Driving is everything that true hunting is not, its a mindless way to hunt....... It should be stopped on public land or at least limited to certain areas...........

Agreed. I would never be part of a drive, but to each his own. The part I find disturbing is driving by a piece of woods daily and seeing a few trucks, mostly the same ones and seeing them quite often. Obviously these hunters are putting in their time. The same drive to work on Monday, I saw at least 20 trucks. While it's perfectly legal, sucks for those who hunt those same spots regularly. JMHO,,,,again, doesn't make me right or wrong

1 hour ago, buckhound said:

I see all sides having done it many years but I can say the tradition thing is gone it’s more about kill kill kill

Its always been about kill kill kill that is part of the tradition.

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

in the beginning it was a way of putting food on the table but the tradition become a lot more about spending time with family friends in the area i am from anyway unless you where Brought up doing it most would never understand. when i started we had woods that no one drove for the most part they were  big so other than a piece or corner here or there everyone sat in them and of course  with all the does some 50 acre pieces held 30 -40 or more doe  we had a lot of deer and every year a ton of bucks even if they were young spikes and forks we also had some decent  racks for the area . then the   guys decided they wanted more and started to cut lines in all the usually un driven woods and then come all the doe days and muzzy days wasn't long before they were bringing in 15-20 fawns and doe a day to check stations  thats when things went down hill in this area fast... seems they are never satisfied....its only been a few years ago the area i grew up in was so bad people stopped hunting the area and moved on now last two years been a lot of bucks in one field and they are back in force last year i had a lot of bucks and does in an area they drove and killed so many this year same spot for a month i had a big and little doe and a fork....this is why is say its not the same.....JMO 

Tired of hearing the same old tired argument. Theres been a lot of "traditions" in human history that aren't "traditions" anymore. The "tradition" was for guys to get together for one week a year and maybe a few other days with the doe days to enjoy the "camaraderie".  Now its not the same, the land (mostly public) is raped for months over and over and over again in the name of "tradition" and "camaraderie" by many different clubs and groups of guys on the same day even! It was "tradition" for me to go out hunting and see a healthy, thriving deer herd, what about mine and others "traditions", does anyone care about ours??  The herd is very far from thriving anymore, its in real bad shape on public ground, Private is seeing it also.

It isn't just about the crazy amounts of deer they kill, wound or never find using buckshot on running targets or the added pressure turning all deer nocturnal ruining the rest of the season for stand hunters.  What about all the deer that are run to death from starvation in their most vulnerable time, during the winter when every calorie needs to be accounted for to survive? A mature buck is all ready walking a thin line after 1,2,3 ruts to survive the winter, now put on top all the extra energy it needs to burn to avoid flying lead, leaving it even less time to eat and recuperate. Nobody thinks about that do they??  All these guys care about is filling the meat pole for the social media "likes", back pats and reach arounds all in the name of "traditions and camaraderie"! 

NJF&G management plan is a joke and a spit in the face to all hunters when they bow to the special interest groups, i.e gun clubs and insurance companies!

On 12/5/2018 at 5:52 PM, Hitemnasty said:

Tired of hearing the same old tired argument. Theres been a lot of "traditions" in human history that aren't "traditions" anymore. The "tradition" was for guys to get together for one week a year and maybe a few other days with the doe days to enjoy the "camaraderie".  Now its not the same, the land (mostly public) is raped for months over and over and over again in the name of "tradition" and "camaraderie" by many different clubs and groups of guys on the same day even! It was "tradition" for me to go out hunting and see a healthy, thriving deer herd, what about mine and others "traditions", does anyone care about ours??  The herd is very far from thriving anymore, its in real bad shape on public ground, Private is seeing it also.

It isn't just about the crazy amounts of deer they kill, wound or never find using buckshot on running targets or the added pressure turning all deer nocturnal ruining the rest of the season for stand hunters.  What about all the deer that are run to death from starvation in their most vulnerable time, during the winter when every calorie needs to be accounted for to survive? A mature buck is all ready walking a thin line after 1,2,3 ruts to survive the winter, now put on top all the extra energy it needs to burn to avoid flying lead, leaving it even less time to eat and recuperate. Nobody thinks about that do they??  All these guys care about is filling the meat pole for the social media "likes", back pats and reach arounds all in the name of "traditions and camaraderie"! 

NJF&G management plan is a joke and a spit in the face to all hunters when they bow to the special interest groups, i.e gun clubs and insurance companies!

I don't know about deer drives killing crazy numbers of deer. The numbers don't support this claim. Bow hunters kill more than gun hunters and what percentage of gun hunters are driving? The number is small.
I also don't believe deer in this state die of starvation because of driving.
However, I believe mass driving, involving more than just 2 or3 guys gently pushing, is the most disruptive way of hunting. A group of 10 or 20 guys can complete take over hundreds of acres of woods, making it unsafe for anyone to even enter. Then for days , weeks if not for the season there is no reason to even go hunting since the herd becomes nocturnal. No good IMO. 

Edited by Lunatic

Driving in the pines is an experience everyone to have at least once before commenting on good or bad.  Those were fun times for me when I was young enough to walk all day.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

The deer bounce back every year. There are so many deer a little club like mine with 5 drivers to a side and a couple of permit standard . We have 15 on the pole, with at least that many or more that go back that dont even get shot at. The harvest numbers are pretty close year after year in nj . the biologist for fgw have the numbers right were thay want them. And it s generations of history with True friends and family

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

So let me get this straight. The state sells license. The people buy licenses and you don't expect the people each to get a deer?

Why not restrict the amount of licenses sold if you want to restrict the amount of deer killed?

After all, hunting is not a right in NJ and you have to pay for permission to take an animal from the royal owners.

There are many clubs that do not get that amount of deer or even people who drive that don't get that amount of deer.

Now I will say the herd needs to be better managed. The amount of does takin in zones in crazy. 

Think of the amount of deer you can take as an individual bow hunting then look at the amount of deer a gun hunter can take as an individual. 

As anything it should be based on the herd.

Leave the clubs alone. Leave the drivers alone. Leave the bow hunters alone and just get more people involved in hunting and shooting. 

If you know your public local land then you know who hunts it and how it is hunted. Make adjustments accordingly. If a club comes through talk with the club and see when they plan on driving that piece. Communication with people goes a long way.

If you bait an area and put time in then you will see people and talk with them . Work together. Hell come up with a baiting schedule. 

STOP REDUCING YOUR CHOICES!

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

14 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I don't know about deer drives killing crazy numbers of deer. The numbers don't support this claim. Bow hunters kill more than gun hunters and what percentage is driving? The number is small.
I also don't believe deer in this state die of starvation because of driving.
However, I believe mass driving, involving more than just 2 or3 guys gently pushing, is the most disruptive way of hunting. A group of 10 or 20 guys can complete take over hundreds of acres of woods, making it unsafe for anyone to even enter. Then for days , weeks if not for the season there is no reason to even go hunting since the herd becomes nocturnal. No good IMO. 

Percentage wise they are killing more, less guys killing more deer in a smaller time frame with much more stress on them. You can make assumptions about deer not being pushed to death even though every book and article I’ve read about deer on the subject says otherwise about how fragile they are in the winter months, specially bucks. Look it up...

So my assumption, is a good percentage of deer killed by drivers go unreported... Buckshot leaves little trace of a hit with very little blood trail. These guys don’t have time to search around for a deer that was maybe hit they need to get on with the next drive. Dude thought the buck was bigger so decides not to tag it. Shoot first ask questions later, so how many deer found don’t get tagged? Gang mentality is safety in numbers so just shoot that buck you don’t have a tag for it’s cool. We all have assumptions.....