IGNORED

Savage 220F ejection

BCsaw

I just noticed possible fitment issues with my slug setup with the
EGW long action rail and rings. Such is not the case!
The brass has dents on the rim. The ejection direction is forward of 3pm on the clock.
The action has dual extractors and an ejector bar to stop and twist the case out of the ejection port while the extractors pull. This is where the brass fragments were found in the action.
Brass fragments were on the outside ejector.
If you don't cycle this fast enough, the spent casing will stay in the ejection port. Too fast and the case will just bump forward.
In my experience, the height of the rail or scope is not the issue for ejection problems.
Who knew that stuffing a slug in a rifle action would be so hard.
Maybe I'll get the ejection port clear by moving the scope rings back, but this may require extension rings to maintain my eye relief.
Do not fear the ejection hype.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, BHC said:

it was never height of the rings nor ejection as you stated, it was people treating the action softly.....rack the bolt fast and hard and have zero issues

I use DNZ 18200 medium for my 220 since day one, no issues

Well this helped my decision to never buy one. If you have a misfire when shooting at a deer, racking it fast and hard would definitely scare the deer away. My Mossberg had a misfire one time, I was able to quietly eject and still kill the deer.

it was never height of the rings nor ejection as you stated, it was people treating the action softly.....rack the bolt fast and hard and have zero issues

I use DNZ 18200 medium for my 220 since day one, no issues

On a good note, everything checked out.

I was just doing function testing.

It looked as the weaver style ring, possibly hanging low on the rail was causing contact. At a different angle the ejector bar rolled the casing from one side. No contact

6) rounds downrange later, it is on.

First target, free hand

3) winchester super x rifled slug. ___3/4oz. 2 3/4"

2nd target, free hand

3) premier accutip 3"

@ 50yds

After the hunting seasons we should have the slug gun challenge. Maybe the timing will be right for shooters.

I know Maximus was in...20181124_121114.thumb.jpeg.0d59a0fb5bd94be2f2f875aa56d241c4.jpeg20181124_121122.thumb.jpeg.2099a713905cad9f1ed83d2df399f8ff.jpeg1263464850_20181124_1301452.thumb.jpeg.082ce49e75393efbdf3e60b395908ac0.jpeg

EGW are good mounts, in fact I remember the day I came home with my 220 I ordered the EGW, then a few days later I saw the DNZ mounts on a 220 on NJH, did some research and ordered the DNZ and returned the EGW.....In my opinion as good as the EGW is the DNZ is better

6 hours ago, BCsaw said:

Thought it was JC Chartboy, but he's a Tarhunt guy and that's one fine firearm he had.

the 20ga he had I held it when he came out to Illinois to hunt with us, I think that was the year the Savage 220 came out and I got a year later