IGNORED

Opinions On How Much to Trim Venison (Home Butchering)

Lou.D

I was just asking myself the same question. Monday morning I was processing a deer and decided to make most of it into ground since I was completely out. I was wondering if I was being to anal trying to get as much silver off as I did since it was being ground anyway. I watched a video online where a guy was just throwing all of his trim into the grind without cleaning it up and it got me thinking if I was going overboard. 

3 minutes ago, amaraziti said:

I was just asking myself the same question. Monday morning I was processing a deer and decided to make most of it into ground since I was completely out. I was wondering if I was being to anal trying to get as much silver off as I did since it was being ground anyway. I watched a video online where a guy was just throwing all of his trim into the grind without cleaning it up and it got me thinking if I was going overboard. 

Well that was him. You decide how much of that "gristle" you want in your chop meat. I don't want to see it. 

9 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Buy a 100 dollar grinder..  you will find u have less waste..  I also have a slicer..  I partially freeze the shoulder roasts and make chip steak...  my next thing is a band saw for making  bone in and lollie pop chops..  also for making the ribs smaller.  I have double boiled than baked them in bbq and jelly and man they come out great..  just a lot of work without band saw

It is very easy to cut ribs in half with a hacksaw, directly from the animal. I do it all the time. First cut through the middle and then against the spine.

Without seeing your work, it's hard to say for sure. But it sounds like you are pretty fussy, so you are probably taking the right approach.

Personally, I'm not starving, so I don't need to eat bloodshot meat, tallow, or meat that's been tainted by broken intestines or stomach contents, or chewed on by foxes or coyotes before recovery, but that's just me. When I ran a processing business, every once in a while I'd get a complaint or accused of "not giving them all their meat back", but that was bunk. I cut the deer for them the same way I would for my family to eat.

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

I'm careful not to cut hairs when skinning, or get other crap on the meat, so the meat is clean enough that it doesn't need to touch water before packaging.  The inner loins are the only pieces I wash.  Water makes it easier to pull off the layers of clear scum, which usually are covered with dry blood.  I clean them down to where the meat starts coming apart, and there is no blood left on them, then dry them good.

I’m a pretty picky eater though you wouldn’t think that by the size of me Hahahah, I trim anything I wouldn’t want to eat or would likely trim after it’s cooked and on my plate. Even what I grind I pretty finicky, i do this to enjoy what I’m consuming not because I’m starving but at the same time I’m not wasteful . My dad on the other hand is old school And we don’t butcher each other’s deer 😉