IGNORED

Today is the day

Greg

.... to remember till the end of my days.

Had a 25 yard shot on the biggest buck I have seen hunting the pines in 30 years 0800 this morning and the arrow hit the edge of hemmed shooting port in the screen and went no more than 2 feet outside the blind,,,

and to rub it in more, took a 40 yard shot on a decent 6 just after 4pm and went to look for sign and found the arrow broke in half and clean as can be, musta found that one little branch that I didn't...

I will remember this day till the end of my days

Well like blade said you know he's still out there and I'll never forget when it happened to me. Took a shot 3 years ago late in the season at a doe. I saw the branch that was no thicker than a pencil and thought to myself nah I wont hit hit and and even they arrow should be fine. Hit the branch, arrow went high right, and didn't see another deer all day.

Back when we had deer, and I was just starting out with a bow that needed a pin for every 5yds, I shot over and under a couple dandies.  40 years later, I still remember them, the tree I was in, and the setting as if it happened yesterday.  Even remember the doe that ducked my shot when I was 6ft up in the crotch of a tree, and it was right next to the tree.  And the stick I hit that I didn't see 2ft in front of me.  And watching an arrow go straight up in the air as it hit a twig just before hitting the buck.  You're right, you'll never forget those blunders.

I had a day back 10-12 years ago that blew my mind. Had a stand about 15 ft. up and 25 yards off of a really hot trail. It was my first all day sit in my hunting career. I was set. Had a couple of sandwiches and a thermos of hot coffee, the sun was shining, there was no wind, the rut was rolling and it was about 30 degrees. What the hell else could you ask for? At first light I had a really nice 8 come right down the trail just like he supposed to do. I thought,”Damn, all this prep and I’m gonna be outta here by 8:00. The only thing between him and I was one of those 3 inch diameter trees that the top was still heavily laden with leaves which made it bend in an arc right back to the ground. Kind of like a wood rainbow. So, here comes this nice buck, I drew back, put the pin right in the crease and tripped the trigger. I stuck that arrow right in that 3 inch diameter tree. Christ. Well, it was still early and it was one of those days where I just knew I was gonna get a buck. Sat for another hour or so and along comes a really nice 10 pt. I figured “Well, I guess that’s the reason I stuck that other arrow in the tree...there was a nicer one with my name branded on his ass”. Drew back and promptly stuck that arrow within an inch of the other arrow I stuck there earlier. I couldn’t believe how stupid I was. Trying to look on the bright side, I thought “Well, at least it’s early yet”. But, I was discouraged and pissed. Sat from then til just about dark. At last shooting light, without seeing any more deer(not that I deserved to) the ten came back in the other direction. Lucky me, I get to redeem myself. I got ready and drew back long before he got to the other two arrows that had been staring me in the face all day. Got’er lined up, tripped the trigger and saw my arrow hit a tiny branch sticking up out of the leafy end of the tree that was bent over which jarred the tree enough to make it jump back upright and put my other two arrows out of reach. The deer looked back toward me and I had enough time to nock another but, I had a four arrow quiver and my last arrow had a field tip on it. The deer casually walked away, I climbed down and jumped up but, with my 3 inch vert, I couldn’t even brush them. Went home and figured I would come back the next day with a step stool to get my arrows. It rained that night enough to bend the tree back over but, my arrows were gone! Later in the winter I saw the land owner and he told me he grabbed the arrows and had been using them to mark the end of his driveway for the snow plow guy. He said he was sure I didn’t want them cuz they were only 3feet off the ground and I hadn’t taken them. He did compliment me on being such a good shot to be able to put two arrows in a 3 inch diameter tree and that they were within an inch of each other. I went back the next week and sawed that tree down but never saw a decent buck from that stand again. Well, yeah, we all have them days... 

I hate to say it 06, but thats pretty damn funny

In my early days I had a subaru brat seat bolted to a milk crate, and I would just find a spot and plop down.  One fine bow day I sat watching a small clearing. About an hour in there was a ton of noise right behind me and i was thinking stupid squirrels, not 10 yards to my right out steps what was a monster, I stopped counting at 10,, wholly smoke this is gonna be easy...... 40 yard pin sailed that arrow right over his back, he just looked over at me wagged his tail and walked off.

That was my 1st biggest buck and I remember it like it was yesterday.