IGNORED

Ground Blind Set-Ups. First Timer

Zone50BugNerd

Seriously contemplating a ground blind for my upcoming plans to muzzy hunt public land.  I used the climber last year and was successful, but where I hunt I feel a ground blind would offer me a bit more flexibility and freedom.  I am not going to make a serious investment, likely just the Ameristep Outhouse, and a cheapo Walmart camp chair.  My question is how much do I need to worry about chair height?  In other words, if I just use a cheap folding camp chair, will I be elevated enough to see out the blind window?  I have never hunted a blind before, so this is a first.  I would obviously try things out and practice set-up, break down, etc., in the backyard first.  Any suggestions from anyone to keep things simple and cheap?  

A buddy of mine bought a cheap ground blind that is pretty short. Short enough where you can't stand up in it. 57 inches in the center I think. Sitting in a normal chair your head is in the roof and your line of sight is above the window level so you can't see out. I took a patio chair and cut 8.5 inches off the legs and now its perfect with the foam pad on top. Beware of short cheapie blinds.
Open yours up, sit in it and try it with the chair you want to use in the yard before you take it out in the field20181019_172708.jpeg20181018_155815.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, supr78nova said:

A buddy of mine bought a cheap ground blind that is pretty short. Short enough where you can't stand up in it. 57 inches in the center I think. Sitting in a normal chair your head is in the roof and your line of sight is above the window level so you can't see out. I took a patio chair and cut 8.5 inches off the legs and now its perfect with the foam pad on top. Beware of short cheapie blinds.
Open yours up, sit in it and try it with the chair you want to use in the yard before you take it out in the field20181019_172708.jpeg20181018_155815.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Awesome and sound advice.  I have a dozen old chairs in my backyard now.  Hadn't even though of using one, awesome idea.  I appreciate the advice!  

23 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Ground blinds are great but it will limit your visibly.  Tree stand you can see more. Gound blind is great for cold windy and rainy days too.

I was/am a bit worried about peripheral vision, but the few spots I have scouted so far seem to limit that issue (I'll be perched up a bit on a hill and small ridge).  If the wind shifts on me, I'll have to learn to be a lot more aware of what may coming in behind me now.  

Whatever blind you choose, seriously consider picking up one of these. It is literally one of the most useful and best items for hunting I have purchased. Highly adjustable, rock solid accuracy, lightweight etc...We even use if for the crossbow from the blind as much as the muzzy and 220. 

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/654610/caldwell-deadshot-fieldpod-aluminum?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Rests%2C+Bi-Pods+%26+Benches&utm_content=654610&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting+-+Rests%2C+Bi-Pods+%26+Benches-_-Caldwell-_-654610&gclid=CjwKCAiA_ZTfBRBjEiwAN6YG4dn5PRv352ErUyg_vTIVSV5fHFOYgws1mGS8oGCifVp6QQ_TJp1zmBoCr-IQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, LPJR said:

Whatever blind you choose, seriously consider picking up one of these. It is literally one of the most useful and best items for hunting I have purchased. Highly adjustable, rock solid accuracy, lightweight etc...We even use if for the crossbow from the blind as much as the muzzy and 220. 

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/654610/caldwell-deadshot-fieldpod-aluminum?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Rests%2C+Bi-Pods+%26+Benches&utm_content=654610&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting+-+Rests%2C+Bi-Pods+%26+Benches-_-Caldwell-_-654610&gclid=CjwKCAiA_ZTfBRBjEiwAN6YG4dn5PRv352ErUyg_vTIVSV5fHFOYgws1mGS8oGCifVp6QQ_TJp1zmBoCr-IQAvD_BwE

I actually already own one, awesome!  I use it at the range all the time, I am going to spend some time in the backyard this weekend playing around with the blind (I bought the Outhouse model).  Last thing I need is to be stumbling around in the dark opening day muzzy, trying to "figure" things out.  Thanks for the heads up!  

Just now, Zone50BugNerd said:

I actually already own one, awesome!  I use it at the range all the time, I am going to spend some time in the backyard this weekend playing around with the blind (I bought the Outhouse model).  Last thing I need is to be stumbling around in the dark opening day muzzy, trying to "figure" things out. 

Smart move.  

Jeez Lou let’s leave some skill left in the equation. LOL You going to fire remotely next? LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM