IGNORED

Rage Mechanical Broadheads

Stan Putz

I am impressed! I bought a pack last year at Wallyworld, they were almost out of all broadheads, and I wanted a few for backup.

Fast forward to yesterday, I thought I'd give them a try, connected on a mid-size doe that piled up 40 yards from the shot. Left a blood trail Stevie Wonder could have followed. I usually use Slick Tricks (or knockoffs), but I always wondered if they left a big enough hole going in or out.

I won't go as far as saying I'm a "fan" yet, but my eyes are definitely more open. All I read about is the negative press on them.

20181108_172350.jpg

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

With the presumed larger entry/exit holes (I get that most guys don’t want to post those pics), comparing your past experience using the Slicks, do you believe this Deer (comparing similar POI of course) went down faster or ran a shorter distance before dying? 

47 minutes ago, Pathman said:

With the presumed larger entry/exit holes (I get that most guys don’t want to post those pics), comparing your past experience using the Slicks, do you believe this Deer (comparing similar POI of course) went down faster or ran a shorter distance before dying? 

Honestly, I'm a lazy bow hunter. I hunt with a crossbow, don't scout much, and might put in 5 days a season.

I never cared much for tuning in with fixed broadheads back when I used a compound bow, so I prefer "fly like a field-tip" broadheads.  As the years passed and I lost a few deer, I made a conscious decision to only take what I consider to be slam-dunk shots. Slick Tricks seemed to do the job, but in the back of my mind was the nagging thought that they really didn't leave much room for error.

This deer was double lunged, and when I found her she was in a heap 40 yards from where I hit her originally, bolt covered in blood and a blood trail anyone can follow, which isn't always the case with the fixed blade broadheads, I followed the blood trail in the dark, but obviously not much tracking. I guess the biggest surprise was how easy this was.

I plan to butcher the deer this afternoon, I'll see what damage was done internally then.

Edited by Stan Putz

And it is time for the annual rage debate! J/k. I have had great luck with rage. I’ve been very impressed. But a friend of mine recently had a bad experience with them not opening and he lost a nice deer. He stopped by my house and gave me 2 unopened packs of 2 inch cut 2 blade rage heads and he said we will never use them again. I graciously accepted my $80+ gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are pros and cons to all. You use what is comfortable and make sure you have perfected using it.

Nothing beats shot placement. Most are not 100% all the time. I would say that is where some of the differences in broad heads come in.

BobAJarcheryworld_728X90animated_032917.gif

Bob & AJ's Archery World Face Book Bob & AJ's Archery World Clothing  LEO - FIRE - MIL receive 10% discount

I understand shot placement, and have killed maybe 50/60 deer with an arrow or bolt over the years. The blood trail I didn't have to follow last night was what surprised me the most. It may be just luck or coincidence, there wasn't a huge entrance hole in or out when I butchered the deer this afternoon.

By chance do you know the weight of your arrow?

I am curious as to others who have had success or failures and the weight of their arrows.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

15 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

By chance do you know the weight of your arrow?

I am curious as to others who have had success or failures and the weight of their arrows.

Looks to be 300 grains  .https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/archery/crossbows-accessories/crossbow-bolts-nocks/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/333154080/i/337645080/cabelas-stalker-x-bolts/1804741.uts?slotId=3