IGNORED

I think I got winded by 2 gobblers today!!!

Bonefreak

So....im in my treestand today at prime time after seeing Mr. BIG tending a doe when I checked my cam on lunch break....even tho the wind was not the best for spot, and along come 2 gobblers downwind and damn near underneath me....sure enough the lead Tom starts putting and they both peel around me. 

Never thought they had a good sense of smell, but after today, they can certainly smell to some extent. 

10 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

So....im in my treestand today at prime time after seeing Mr. BIG tending a doe when I checked my cam on lunch break....even tho the wind was not the best for spot, and along come 2 gobblers downwind and damn near underneath me....sure enough the lead Tom starts putting and they both peel around me. 

Never thought they had a good sense of smell, but after today, they can certainly smell to some extent. 

They probably saw you.   it doesn't take much!  They see as good or better than an eagle, and see color.   

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I was in a big white pine, tons of cover, saw them coming in from 60 + yds away....so I know I had the drop on them.....and I didn't move as they approached. I am certain they didn't see me. Once they were directly down wind of me, the alarm putts started. I know it sounds crazy but that's how it happened.....very strange. I know they don't have much soft sensory tissue in those hard beaks, but wtf!?!?

Ive hunted turkeys for over 35 years and have never had one turkey appear to catch my wind or even appear to care about any smell.  It is strange though how turkeys can find a well hidden bait pile even when birds appear to be nonexistent from a particular area.  I always wondered what they could actually smell and how they interpret those smells

One time I had a tom turkey grunt, snort and wheeze at me.:wacko:  JK

I am sure they can smell somewhat but I have hunted turkeys for 35 years and have shot and called in dozens and never had one wind me.  They are very high strung and anything that does not seem right they run and putt.    

I'm back in the white pine and pondering the turkey caper from yesterday. It is a very still morning w hardly any whiffs of wind....and yesterday if was a bit gusty, and my Excalibur was hanging on a hook, and I have white fletching on bolts, ....so maybe the xbow moved a bit in wind n gobblers saw fletching. At one point I thought I saw the lead gobbler cant his head at a 45 degree angle to look up. Probably didn't wind me.....but it was weird. 

So far....jus a doe n fawn

And turkeys!!  Lol