CatchinDeers243

Trappers fur recommendations

I’ve seen a lot of foxes running around my spots in NY and thought it might be cool shoot one or two to hang in my hunting room. I’m assuming that it’s a lot of work to skin and tan them and with two young kids I don’t have a ton of time. Anybody have any recommendations on where I could take them that won’t break the bank should one decide to get too close

Skin and flesh it then once it is dry send it to a tannery. Tubari is in NJ. If you don't think you can skin flesh and board it to dry I am sure a trapper's in your area will do it for you for a few $. What area you in

It isn't too expensive to put up a fox fur and get it tanned. Maybe around $100. Newt (SnareOne) does it for $60 - http://www.snareone.com/tanning.html - but that is if you already fleshed and stretched it. If you need that done, too, it's double.

But, I would think that's a normal price - $100... $120... something like that - to go from field to tanned.

But just  know - if you aren't going to immediately skin and flesh it yourself, you need to bring it to the tanner immediately or freeze the animal. I'm no expert, but I hear canines turn fast and they will lose their hair pretty quick after the kill. You have to skin and flesh it - or freeze the animal - quick.. like within 24 hours or something like that? 

35 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

It isn't too expensive to put up a fox fur and get it tanned. Maybe around $100. Newt (SnareOne) does it for $60 - http://www.snareone.com/tanning.html - but that is if you already fleshed and stretched it. If you need that done, too, it's double.

But, I would think that's a normal price - $100... $120... something like that - to go from field to tanned.

But just  know - if you aren't going to immediately skin and flesh it yourself, you need to bring it to the tanner immediately or freeze the animal. I'm no expert, but I hear canines turn fast and they will lose their hair pretty quick after the kill. You have to skin and flesh it - or freeze the animal - quick.. like within 24 hours or something like that? 

Ain't no 100 to do a fox. The belly will rot before any hair slippage so don't let it sit. Send it to a tannery, not a supplier. Foxes are real thin skinned and not a lot of fat on them so be careful while pulling it. Skin it, roll the pelt fur side out, get in a ziplock bag and in a freezer. It will keep that way for awhile but will freezer burn in a few months.. Foxes need to be turned while drying also and the pelt can tear easily during the turning process.  If you need help get it from a trapper that KNOWS what they are doing, please don't waste the resource. 

Edited by Bucndoe
  • Like 3