Has anyone noticed an increase of feral/wild cats in rural and semi rural areas? My dog has bumped into small cat containers/kennels that people have left as current shelters. We also have many semi wild cats living in our neighborhood. Beginning to be a slight nuisance. Is there a wild cat lover organization that is causing this potential health risk? 

Feral cats actually have protected status in this state AND in many cases people are allowed to help maintain the colony.

The state actually allows local towns to draw up laws to allow for feral cat colonies to be maintained:

https://www.nj.gov/health/vph/animal-control/feral-cats/

"The New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH) does not endorse or oppose the concept of establishing properly managed cat colonies utilizing trap-neuter-return (TNR) techniques. However, if a municipal government wishes to allow managed cat colonies, they should develop standards through ordinances for the proper and managed operation of such colonies..."

And many municipalities do just that - for example, here's the city of Camden's ordinances on it:

https://ecode360.com/14721101

"Feral cat colonies shall be permitted, and the caregiver/owner shall be entitled to maintain them..."

So to answer your question: "Is there a wild cat lover organization that is causing this potential health risk?", you could check the town (where you are finding the cats) ordinances and see if they allow it; if so, it is probably under the supervision of animal control - so you could talk to the town's animal control officer and find out what's up. But it won't be like you'll be able to get rid of them if the town allows it (like the city of Camden does).

• Like 2

I read a study on feral cats and the damage they do to small animals particularly song birds.  They are killing machines and should all be shot!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Feral cats actually have protected status in this state AND in many cases people are allowed to help maintain the colony.

The state actually allows local towns to draw up laws to allow for feral cat colonies to be maintained:

https://www.nj.gov/health/vph/animal-control/feral-cats/

And many municipalities do just that - for example, here's the city of Camden's ordinances on it:

https://ecode360.com/14721101

So to answer your question: "Is there a wild cat lover organization that is causing this potential health risk?", you could check the town (where you are finding the cats) ordinances and see if they allow it; if so, it is probably under the supervision of animal control - so you could talk to the town's animal control officer and find out what's up. But it won't be like you'll be able to get rid of them if the town allows it (like the city of Camden does).

Thanks for the Nj documents, we are a true Santuary State. 

Most practice TNT trap neuter return along with the ear clip with the hope being to reduce the number of feral cats.

• Disagree 1

There is a feral cat colony on Paulinskil WMA. It is at the intersection of Parsons road and (I think it's called) Plotts road. Once I saw some dingbat releasing a cat there and I reported it to the DFW. I was told the TNR dingbats have permission to release the cats there.

It WAS  a problem in my Yard ( Area ) I go from maintaining Humming Bird feeders to Birdseed feeders.  Nov.1st till April. My Birdfeeder is Placed inside my Garden so Hawks is not a problem and with a Squriel Guard on it. There is one cat I suspect is a Housecat tried a Have a Heart trap with tuna but all I get are Coons and Possums. But have not seen it recently. With The Turkeys Disappearing in my Yard  ( area ) Not leaving out the Low deer numbers this year  Animal control suspects coyotes. but I have yet to see ONE.    Why is it when a Dogs- Rats run lose it is a problem but Cats get a pass 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

It WAS  a problem in my Yard ( Area ) I go from maintaining Humming Bird feeders to Birdseed feeders.  Nov.1st till April. My Birdfeeder is Placed inside my Garden so Hawks is not a problem and with a Squriel Guard on it. There is one cat I suspect is a Housecat tried a Have a Heart trap with tuna but all I get are Coons and Possums. But have not seen it recently. With The Turkeys Disappearing in my Yard  ( area ) Not leaving out the Low deer numbers this year  Animal control suspects coyotes. but I have yet to see ONE.    Why is it when a Dogs- Rats run lose it is a problem but Cats get a pass 

Joeybbets what part did you not agree with. 

I have a lady in my neighborhood who traps feral cats gets them neutered and ear clipped and lets them go neighbors have told me she pays to have it done. But as a result the local mouse population is way down they use to overrun my shed over the years my neighbors have noticed the same thing. She does have two of those igloo looking shelters far back on her property.I am sure they are picking off a few birds  and other things but on the plus side the mouse population is under control as is the feral cat one. Works for me not sure about everyone else.

No disrespect Glad she is in your neighborhood, not mine, Maybe in Sussex County or other areas it works. But Mice are attracted to a food source natural or man-made. In my Yard, I rather put out some Rat- Mouse poison pellets in my Shed and around my feeder than have Cats Crapping and killing Birds in my yard.  To each there own. Thank Got there is a Leash Law in My town that includes  Cats.  

3 hours ago, 230jhp said:

I was told the TNR dingbats have permission to release the cats there.

Releasing Domestic Animals in the wilds or anywhere else in New Jersey Is Abandonment punishable by Fine or Jail time.   N.J.S.P.C.A  

4 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I read a study on feral cats and the damage they do to small animals particularly song birds.  They are killing machines and should all be shot!

# 1 predator in the world is a house cat.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

# 1 predator in the world is a house cat.

I agree but that is stretching it a bit( World ) Be glad this one is not as common in the world.  NYT found article How Feral and House cats are responsible for Billions of Small Critters namely Birds and the young of some wildlife. IMO any Stray - Lose - Feral Cat is fair game.  And as Ping Ting Wong Le So,  puts it Great for the Woky me Cooky up fast time. 

north-america-american-badger-625x450.jpg

30cats-span-jumbo.jpg

CATS-superJumbo.jpg