IGNORED

Back to decimating the breeding stock

MZ7Extreme

In the 80's it was commercial interest who put a hurting on the striper stocks, now it is the boat fisherman, private, head and charter boats. All these guys have no clue what it was like to not see stripers and only be allowed to catch one at 36". Started striper fishing when I was 12, caught my first keeper at 13 and fished almost exclusively for them for 20 years.

I am all about catching and keeping, but when you are smashing the breeding stock (12-30lbs) you're killing the fishery. Catch and release stop being look at me hero's.

Rant over

No doubt. You hit the nail right on the head. Thru out the 1970s you were lucky to catch a fish let alone a keeper. Now it stroke your own ego look what i got. Truly the big bass dont eat that well, by time you cut out the red meat you lost 45 percent of the weight of the fillet. I have a buddy who trolls for bass in the spring and fall, i dont even fish with them, thay kill every fish thay catch and than gives it away. There mind set is the fish we get don t do shit to the overall numbers. It s the bunker netters fault. I practice catch and release to all striped bass, even the cows, a quick pick and the way thay go

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

When it’s done up and down the coast throughout the year wherever they may be at that particular time. It is hurting the fishery. I’ve seen a huge difference in the past 10 years. I use to go out in a small boat and fish within three miles of the inlet and do quite well on any given day, never trolling I rather not fish than do that.  It may take a while but we get some fish by hitting the jetties or just jumping from bunker school to bunker school. Now we have a bigger boat and I barely bother fishing for them because it’s not go out the inlet and find the bunker you find the bass. It’s go travel 10-15 miles where the bass were yesterday and maybe they’ll still be there!

The way the fleet swarms them tells the tail, when times was good there wasn’t 200 boats fishing the only school of stripers in the region. We were all spread out and all catching fish. Now when you hear the bite is on you need to fight your way in to get a chunk! It ridiculous, not enjoyable dealing with all the pompous dickheads in there 30 foot CC’s with quad 300’s and people say hunting public land is bad..ha! 

1 hour ago, SPEARFISH said:

I really don't think keeping one legal fish per person is decimating the stock.  Many boats catch 30+ per day and only keep a few. 

Its the day in and day out charters that put the hurting on them killing six big fish over 30 pounds every day or more if they keep the boat limit and for what a picture ?  They could probably kill 2 fish and still have enough fish for the crew to take home for dinner. When I want one for the table 15 lbs or less are the ones I like to eat, the rest get released for another day:up:

I

4 hours ago, Codaboy said:

Truly the big bass dont eat that well, by time you cut out the red meat you lost 45 percent of the weight of the fillet.

There’s a ton of good meat in the head too that shouldn’t go to waste but I get your point.

The exposure of the cape cod canal has a lot to do with it. for a 3 week period hundreds of fisherman are pounding 30 to 50 pound fish, keeping legal limits and poaching there asses off . When the fish are vulnerable.

my thought is if you only want a picture with a fish camden has a nice aquarium as for me i fish and hunt to eat .  :popcorn: i remember all that BS from sport fisherman how commercial guys where killing all the fish I also remeber them bitching later that they can't take as many fish as they once did.. :rofl:   that pic above is what will help keep strippers and other species from decline....