IGNORED

Be careful wading wild trout streams right now

Bucksnbows

It's spawning season for our wild trout, so if you are out fishing in streams and rivers where wild trout are found, please be careful not to step in their redds or in the river right below them.  They will look like freshly dug depressions in gravels as small as 1/4" up to nearly 2" depending on trout species.  They are often found at the tailouts of pools or in shallow runs.  Here are two I found yesterday in the South Branch Raritan which has both wild and stocked fish of all three species although most any brookie at this point is non-stocked.  

IMG_5977 (002).jpg

IMG_5978 (002).jpg

12 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

I can see Then their in their  Redds   Whatever that is :headscratch:  No Waders or belts needed just low profile Overshoes.  

Google search is your friend.  Redds are the nests built by trout and salmon where they fertilize and lay their eggs and cover them with small cobbles before leaving their redds.  They cut them with their tails, moving out fine sediment and retaining only the smaller gravels where the eggs can develop away from many predators.  You will find them as bowl shaped depressions much brighter than surrounding cobbles because of their fin action moving away the fine, dark sediment from the redd.  There will be cobbles dug out of the redds extending a short distance directly down current.  Very easy to spot for a trained eye.   

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

Google search is your friend.  Redds are the nests built by trout and salmon where they fertilize and lay their eggs and cover them with small cobbles before leaving their redds.  They cut them with their tails, moving out fine sediment and retaining only the smaller gravels where the eggs can develop away from many predators.  You will find them as bowl shaped depressions much brighter than surrounding cobbles because of their fin action moving away the fine, dark sediment from the redd.  There will be cobbles dug out of the redds extending a short distance directly down current.  Very easy to spot for a trained eye.   

Sorry not up on terminologies.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

On 10/25/2018 at 8:09 PM, maximus66 said:

Good post Brian, in an effort not to affect any Trout reproduction i will leave NJ this weekend and spend a week up Oak Orchard River. Jeez the sacrifices i make.

Taking one for the team.  Nicely done Maximus.  :up: