IGNORED

I need a GFI outlet wired up.

Bowhunter2004

I noticed an outside GFI at my house was not working so I thought I would swap it out myself and this is what I found. I’m surprised we didn’t burn the house down. Any electricians on here? I live in Hunterdon county in Readington. I have a drop ceiling in the basement, so I thought to maybe snake a new wire to the outlet location  then splice it together in a junction box above the drop ceiling rather than running  new wire all the way to the breaker.  If anyone can recommend a local electrician it would be appreciated. 

EB497147-F921-425E-87F3-DA1644F69231.jpeg

A0F2F25B-97FF-4C64-AC22-CBBF893D1866.jpeg

C252C33C-168A-4497-940B-A3199026D54B.jpeg

10 hours ago, Bowhunter2004 said:

No it never tripped... I’m scared of it, I’ll burn the joint down for sure if I mess with it. Lol. 

I would find the breaker it’s on and replace it with a 15amp GFCI breaker. Then you can just install a regular breaker and everything on the circuit is protect.   You can do it your self black to the brass screw, white to the silver screw , and green to the ground. Wiring it in the breaker box is easy as well just use 1 hand only that way you do t ground yourself out

"Your short on ears and long on mouth"

I would say you need a Wire survey by a Licenced Elect.  And to do an Infrared inspection of every outlet. There are cheap Continuity plugs to discover Positive - Negative at the outlets also that is FU. ????? did a Smoke alarm go off when this happened? Also appears to be in the series wiring if so there is more than one problem.    Also, there is Weather Proof and Weather Resistant.  make the right choice.  

61rdqa+cS6L._SL1500_.jpg

51ObDUChv+L._SL1280_.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

1957 is right, get a Tamper Resistant weather rated outlet.  If wired correctly it should be a 20 amp using yellow wire.  There might be enough slack to just wire in a new plug.  Purchase a $5 GFCI tester and test it and you should be good to go.  Trace the wire back to the panel and ensure everything is tied in correctly.

12 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

1957 is right, get a Tamper Resistant weather rated outlet.  If wired correctly it should be a 20 amp using yellow wire.  There might be enough slack to just wire in a new plug.  Purchase a $5 GFCI tester and test it and you should be good to go.  Trace the wire back to the panel and ensure everything is tied in correctly.

Do it powered down to easy to blow it by cross wire shorting 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif