IGNORED

The Walpack Inn-No longer hunter friendly

rgw

Too expensive to wholly enjoy.  Food is not the top quality they think.  It is a special place, however am truly pissed when folks wander out back!  I saw manager make an attempt to stop some one out there at dusk, but was told that he allows that wandering earlier in day.  

Bread is full of woodchips/fiber!!  It's different, but not a fan.  Waitresses and bartenders are quite nice.  They have a great gig considering their work week!!

I go occasionally in hopes of seeing the wildlife and daydream of hunting "the Gap." 

If still not satisfied with that response you can contact them from their web page as I did just to let them know how many feel. I accept their reply but then I have no Plans to visit them since there are too many other Resturants a lot closer and Might add not overpriced for the View. Anyone remember The long Island Duck Restaurant Culvers lake Side Beleive McKowns ???? spelling? they even had the ducks behind it.  

CCI10202018.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

6 hours ago, Live to Hunt said:

Do you guys believe everything you read on the internet was probably written by an anti hunter.  :shakehead: I stopped going there because the food sucks.  I used to love the ribs there. Last time I went nothing but fat on them.  When I told the waitress I was not happy she explained to me that they changed the ribs because of price. Then she brought me out a steak to replace the ribs and that was just garbage. Have not been back in 8 years. 

I'm heading there tonight for ribs, I love fatty ribs.🤣🤣🤣

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

57 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

that picture is awesome, I can probably find a pic of my grandfather's family at the Inn - the Rosselli family, 14 siblings total. 

Looks like a scene out of "Wiseguys"  lol

Put some facepaint on Carmen front right - and he would look just like Lou!  

Uncle Carmen! Hahahaha! I am sure your family was a big part of the restaurant crowd back in the day Jack :up:

Edited by LPJR

Screw the Inn Lakeside is a dive bar with Great food and Peanuts plus won't break the bank $$ a lot of bikers in the summer but friendly. When I was there 2 years ago with another Vet, we had our Vet hats on and The Bikers picked up our Tab.  Don't want the Bar Scene. The Layton inn is a Very good with a lot of locals with a big menu $$$ right,    

55236b8fd50a50d02a25eefc8c897e08.jpg

26b1e2e9db58985bbb757726275ae0d6.jpg

c430212165286bfd7975da07393cee1d.jpg

bdb6d7f4d73a4ba3d186a7142cd90df9.jpg

Layton_Hotel_Logo_tan.png

Dam memories. Drowned in the Birch Beer there while my Father and cousin did their thing. The Bartender kept giving me refills till I was caught and got hell for running up the Tab on them. LPJR do you remember the waitress who lived across from the post office we rented a room during deer season from her a Widow Sun. Mon. Tues. Returned on Sat.?

20181020_091538.thumb.jpg.58b2f66c81d08f2935bc2cf433f44950.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

4 hours ago, LPJR said:

Hard to believe this news about the Walpack Inn. Generations of families have come to the restaurant even from as far as NYC for the atmosphere alone. Like Jack said, it would be equivalent to Cabela's taking down the mounts that have been up since the inception of the store. If the info is true, many people will no longer be patrons, including me and my family.

My family built and owned the original Walpack Inn for years. My Uncle Joe Lombardi was the owner, and my family had cabins across the street "up on the hill" for years.  If anyone remembers, Joe Lombardi also had an antique store to the right of where the Inn still is now. I can remember walking down to the Flatbrook behind the Inn to trout fish on opening day with my Dad when I was small. 

Lots of good memories.  The legend of Bigfoot in Walpack still is embedded in my head and I have made my kids aware as well, lol. Attached below is pic of several family members, including Uncle Mimi and Uncle Gin with friends at the original bar at the Walpack Inn that was printed in the NJ Herald several years ago. 

20181020_091538.jpg

https://www.thewalpackinn.com/our-story/

That's a great pic Lou!!!:up:

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

1 minute ago, LPJR said:

Negative, may have been before my time. 

Ok, best I remember is  1953 till I went into the Navy 1958. try as I may I can't remember the cabins you mentioned.  After the Navy in 62, we hunted Oxford and Oldwick - Mendem - Whitingham- Round valley before and after.  And Stocks -Walpack - Blairstown on and off. and a lot in between.  Ending up in Freehold - Jackson but fondest memories are Sussex & Warren South Jersey Sucks Briars - Flat Swampy-Ticks - Pineys - Yahoos. and pork roll people :poke: 

4 hours ago, Hunter115522 said:

Sounds like a BS statement, just trying to cover the fact that they are slowly caving to the anti-hunter/yuppie crowd.

I'm just not seeing it.  Sounds like a restaurant that wants to change things up a little after 70 years.  Then again, I've never really been one to believe that there's an anti-hunter lurking behind every blade of grass either.  Very few people are "anti-hunting," whereas the majority of people don't know about hunting and/or don't care about it.  Apathy, not antis, has been, and will continue to be, the biggest enemy of hunting.  I find it very hard to believe that anyone has ever gone to the Walpack Inn, walked inside, and said "OH MY GOD!!!  LOOK AT THESE POOR ANIMALS!!!  I MUST COMPLAIN TO THE MANAGEMENT AT ONCE!!!"  Antis are true lunatics.  They're the people you see carrying signs and getting arrested at bear check stations.  They're obsessed with politics, protesting, and have nothing else in their life (older, single, no kids, etc...)-plus they're usually vegan-not too many vegan options in Walpack I don't think.  The times I've been to Walpack Inn all I've seen are families enjoying themselves, not eco-terrorists giving a head and shoulders mount the hairy eyeball as they munch on a salad.  This is kind of like the guy who arrives at his spot to find his stand straps cut, his camera card gone, and a fresh steamer in his bait pile.  Immediately he jumps to the conclusion that he's being targeted by a shadowy network of eco-terrorists who have been watching his every move for months.  In reality its another hunter who put up a stand 30 yards away.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Honestly, I think that all of the local history should be celebrated.  They do not appear to be removing all of the taxidermy and I respect real diversity - everyone doing whatever floats their boat.

All kinds of people eat there - hikers, people out for a ride, birdwatchers, kayakers, canoeists the list goes on...  in addition to fisherman and hunters.  Let's not pretend that we are their only patrons.

I love history and the poor locals who had their fine heritage stolen from them by the government should have their stories  remembered in photographs and memorabilia as far as I am concerned.

I used to watch the deer there too with my wife and daughter so I hope that they do stop the idiots from harassing those deer.  Watching those deer is why we would go there for dinner for Pete's sake!  Let's hope they realize this.

Based on that news from 1957buck I will not be boycotting the place but I would like to see the quality of the food meet up with their prices.

Edited by madeinuk