IGNORED

ideas for what gear to buy for beginner trappers?

mazzgolf

I just took the trappers ed course and I did buy my license - so I'm good to go there. But I have no gear. The fur harvester's convention will be at Atsion on November 4. I want to buy some stuff at this convention but I don't want to go wild and just throw money around for a bunch of stuff. I just want a beginning set of gear. I'm gonna start slow.

I am NOT looking to do any water trapping (no beaver, otter, that kind of thing), so I don't think I need any conibears.  Looking at just doing upland. Mainly coyote (you all know the story of the pack of yotes on a private spot I hunt - the puppies are on my hit list, though they aren't puppies anymore). I wouldn't mind taking fox. I won't do any DP trapping - maybe next year if I get into this more and want to get into the coons.

I'm thinking start with 5/64, 1x19 snares (maybe a dozen?), some extension cables... should I use lures/scents? I know I need wire cutters - not sure the best to get.

The one thing that I really worry about is trapping a non-target animal and having to free it - so I think having a catch-pole is almost a necessity, no? That's going to be the high-ticket item I think - $90 or more for one of those. Not even sure if the convention will have those on sale.

Anyway - just looking for suggestions on how best for a beginner to gear up. If I like it, I'll worry about buying more stuff later on. 

I would get 7x7 3/32 cable restraints (loaded). 9 ga support wire. Rebar stakes, extensions if you want to cable off to tree. C7 cable cutters. To cut support wire any plires with cutting edge will work. As for catch pole you can eathier buy one or make one easily. Sents or lures arnt worth it for the most part in NJ unless you have a situation where you have a long trail and put your sents in the middle and make sets at each end. Your sets should be 50 to 100 yds from lure to be effective

Definitely get C7 style cutters and only use them for cable ! not regular wire etc use the other pliers/cutters for that. Also, get yourself good fur handling equipment if your stretching your own fur which will benefit you in the end and save yourself a lot of head aches (fleshing beam & knife, good knives, stretchers/boards & wedges, etc) Also watch out for some of the stretchers that are made out of junk metal :banghead:.   As rgw mentioned I wouldn't worry too much about using lures if this is your first year, focus on sign and make quality sets.

Edited by Silver Belly62

4 hours ago, rgw said:

I would get 7x7 3/32 cable restraints (loaded). 9 ga support wire. Rebar stakes, extensions if you want to cable off to tree. C7 cable cutters. To cut support wire any plires with cutting edge will work. As for catch pole you can eathier buy one or make one easily. Sents or lures arnt worth it for the most part in NJ unless you have a situation where you have a long trail and put your sents in the middle and make sets at each end. Your sets should be 50 to 100 yds from lure to be effective

Bingo.

Coyotes are hard to hold, if using stakes,, use two, with a double stake swivel.

Good luck

First thing do you plan on fleshing and streching your fur?  If so then start off with the minimum needed stuff.

Snares get a dozen or two 7x7 3/32". Can work for coyote and fox, Support wire, tie off wire, wire cutters pliers, C7 cable cutters, hatchet works for cutting or a hammer. 

Decent skinning knife, Fleshing beam, one coyote stretcher, couple fox stretchers (wood boards are better),pins for boards, wedges for boards, fur brush, tail stripper and fleshing apron.

Trapping just coyotes can be a real challenge. If there are a lot then better your chance will be. They territory is pretty big in some areas and may not come through for a week or two.

Get with experienced  trapper that might help you in your area. 

Edited by Buck154

to start out  this is what I  recomend to my students

Made sure all your cable products are made with good Korean cable (not all Korean cable is up to my standards)

5/64" x  60" 1x19  $20.00  $25.00 dipped

3/32"x   72" Extension cables $20.00

Roll  14 ga wire $6.00

Hit cable cutters  $28.95

8" slip joint plyers Get at any hardware store

4' catch pole $89.95( this is up to you)

Master Land Snaring book $9.95

3/32" 7x7 is not a good choice in snare cable  1x19 is true snare cable

Are you gona put up your own fur?

Edited by Newt

@Newt - thanks for the shopping list! I'll take it! :) 

If I add all of that up (including the catch pole - I looked into making one, but I just picture my DIY pole breaking at a time when I really need it! :shock:), it's about $190 (which includes tax). If you plan on bringing those with you to Atsion during the Nov 4 convention, I'll bring the money with me.

Couple questions:

1) I have slip joint plyers, but if you sell them, I'd buy a new one off you, too.

2) Dipping the snare - what are the advantages/disadvantages with that? Do you recommend to always dip, or is that only for a particular application or target animal? If you recommend that, I'll get it - makes the cost closer to $200

3) The price for the snares and extension cables - I assume those are for a dozen each, correct?

4) I do NOT plan on putting up my own fur to start with. I'll think about doing that in the future, but for now, no.

1-no

2-Dont know if it realy makes a difference to the animals .But it makes me feel better about the set.

3-yes

I do buy fur " in the round" With that said. What fur is bringing these days. Some fur is not worth what it costs me to put up. Don't  look at trapping to make some spending cash.

There was a time not so long ago. I payed all my bills from trapping. Then in the off season. I sold trapping supplies. Traveled the country doing Trapper Conventions.

58 minutes ago, Newt said:

I do buy fur " in the round" With that said. What fur is bringing these days. Some fur is not worth what it costs me to put up.

I actually already have your info, as well as Zanders place, in my GPS in case I get something ... I live closer to Zanders so they will probably be my first stop if I get something.

1 hour ago, Newt said:

Don't  look at trapping to make some spending cash.

I'm not looking to make anything at all. Money is a non-factor as to why I am getting into trapping. I'm getting into trapping mainly because of all the yotes that are in my way in some of my hunting spots. So it's just me wanting to get rid of some of them, rather than making any money. Plus, it'll give me something to do in March :D 

I'm willing to sell in the round to anyone that wants it for any amount of money they want to give me -- I would rather kill something and know that someone will get some use out of it rather than kill something and having it go to waste. It doesn't bother me how little $$ someone gives me for something in the round. I'll give it away for free if I know it is getting used for something.

I need to trap something first though - based on what everyone keeps telling me, I'm not expecting to catch any yotes at all :) 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. If you think you MAY catch a brisstle back, ANCHOR for one. You will thank me later

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."