IGNORED

For all you Diesel Owners

Nanuk

I’m considering trading into a 2500 diesel , what are your real  fuel mileage city /hwy unloaded  and moderately loaded. I usual tow a 6x12 enclosed and 8x 16 Open with 4 ATVS . Not extreme but My current rig a 1500 Hemi , averages 11.6 city and 16-17 hwy unloaded ... with trailers it’s around 8.5-9 .  Also which one has best reliability out of the Big Three 

Thanks 

I bought a ram 3500 with a manual  and it does 19MPG empty running 35 inch tires.   Your trailers do not seem that heavy so I would quess 16MPG with your trailers.   Hills or keeping up with traffic would be no problem.   

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

I have the Silverado 2500 hd with the Duramax. It gets around 18 miles to the gallon.  It can do better, all depends how you drive it. I have seen it in the low 20s 

I haul my tractor and farm equip out to the midwest and back,  I haul scissor lifts around from job to job, with a 10 to 12,000 lb load Im around 11 to 13 mpg. Like I said, all depends how you drive it. 

Through the mountains of Pennsylvania and West Virginia, the truck is an animal. Easily passing big rigs and cars on the steep hills The truck is fast too. When the turbo kicks in, its gone. 

I had a newer powerstroke messing with me the other night, lets just say he was very embarrassed

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

I have a 2005 pre emissions ram 3500 in stick and I'm getting about 24mpg and around 20 towing .....you gota watch your gear ratios , that will make a huge difference on how the truck pulls and your fuel mileage....I have 3.73 tears and  their highway gear that's why I get good mileage but I'm alot slower with pick up speed vs. a ram with 4.10s that will pull harder and faster but once up to speed you are running higher rpms with worse fuel mileage.....an example is my buddy used to have the same exact truck as me and he had 4.10s ,going over high point here in North nj he would scream his truck and trailer in 4th gear all the way over where as I was down to 2nd gear over pulling the same trailer, if I remember he was getting around 18mpg..

^^^ I’ve been seeing some Duramax with 3:42 which I think is too low , it’ll give you great mileage but hauling it’ll bog you down . Obviously looking for the best of both worlds and looking for a long term vehicle as it won’t be driven much except weekends so I want to do this once . 3:73 seem to be a happy median , I don’t need 4:10s as I’m not hauling boats or a big 5 th wheel. 

Thanks for all the input 

3 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

I’m holding out for the info on the 3.0 Duramax 1500 trucks coming out next spring. Mileages will be in the low 30’s and still be able to tow lighter stuff and have the smooth ride of a 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to see that to believe it. That's better than most cars 

I had an 05 Duramax, it was a beast but it was a 5 speed and could have used another gear on the highway. I now have a 17 powerstroke crew cab long bed and I couldn’t be happier. I’m getting 17 mpg with mixed diving and light towing. Like others have stated, it’s imperative that you pay attention to gearing. 4:10 should only be considered for constant heavy towing and even then its gona be running high rpm at high way speeds. They all make 400+ hp and 900+ tq which is way more power then most will “need”. As far as brands I would just say at least sit in each of the big 3 as the interior comforts and layout vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided not to buy diesel this time around.  The engine costs about $9K more than a gas engine, and the maintenance is more expensive.  The cost of diesel per gallon is also more.

My 2018 2500 Ram 6.4L gets about 11MPG in town, 14-15MPG highway.  I was told that the diesel version of the truck could get an averrable of 22MPG.

I've been tracking my milage with an app called Fuelly.  I paid for a subscription because I used their site to determine the MPG of my vehicle.  Heavy Duty trucks don't have to publish their MPG, so getting that information can be difficult.  Here is a link to their site, and this is the MPG data from my truck to date:  http://www.fuelly.com

21101660_ScreenShot2018-10-18at8_50_12AM.thumb.png.6de31db8363269a9bb5121b75089dce7.png

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

You can buy the Nissan Titan with the 555lb-ft of torque 5.0l turbo diesel Cummins motors now.   It'll tow 13klbs.  Probably more than most folks need anyway.  So you get all of the goodness and towing capability of that motor in a reliable, well built truck that doesn't fall apart like the American counterparts.  Definitely worth a look

Edited by not on the rug

I have had two diesel P/U's.  Bought both used.  First was a 2001 F-250 with a 6.0.   Got about 17-18mpg empty and about 11 towing a 3 horse Bumper pull trailer with two horses, water and gear.   It was pre DEF. 

My second was a 2014 F-350 with a 6.7.  I get about 18mpg over the road empty and in the mid 12's to 13 towing the same rig mentioned above.

Both had plenty of power.  If you didn't look in the rear view, you wouldn't know you were towing anything most of the time.   The 6.7 can get up to highway speeds  as quickly as most cars... with the trailer attached. 

I think both had a 3.73 ratio but not sure.

RayG