IGNORED

PA Rifle Deer Hunter Focus area

SoloFilmer

I know this is a NJ forum but I am sure a bunch of you rifle hunt in PA during their opener. About three years ago the state game land that I hunt on had closed gates that became open in a "Deer hunter focus area" by the game commission. They opened these gates to allow people who didn't want to work for their deer to have access to get deeper in the woods using these logging roads. It used to be approximately 1 mile to my stand but with the gate open in was a 500 yard walk with a ton of other people around. Now, i'm not really complaining because I was still able to be successful and harvest nice deer. 

A quick question to see if anyone is up on this PA Game Commission program. My pops is up there for muzzle loader season and he said the gates are now locked and no "Deer hunter focus area" signs are posted. Just wondering if anyone heard about them stopping the program or putting it on halt for a couple years. The last time I talked to the game commission they advised me that the program was to just get the numbers down in units/areas that hunters never had access to because it was such a long walk back. Now, usually the gates would be open by now (since archery season is open). If the program is done for now i will be excited i get to hunt in peace this year. Just wondering?

52 minutes ago, SoloFilmer said:

I know this is a NJ forum but I am sure a bunch of you rifle hunt in PA during their opener. About three years ago the state game land that I hunt on had closed gates that became open in a "Deer hunter focus area" by the game commission. They opened these gates to allow people who didn't want to work for their deer to have access to get deeper in the woods using these logging roads. It used to be approximately 1 mile to my stand but with the gate open in was a 500 yard walk with a ton of other people around. Now, i'm not really complaining because I was still able to be successful and harvest nice deer. 

A quick question to see if anyone is up on this PA Game Commission program. My pops is up there for muzzle loader season and he said the gates are now locked and no "Deer hunter focus area" signs are posted. Just wondering if anyone heard about them stopping the program or putting it on halt for a couple years. The last time I talked to the game commission they advised me that the program was to just get the numbers down in units/areas that hunters never had access to because it was such a long walk back. Now, usually the gates would be open by now (since archery season is open). If the program is done for now i will be excited i get to hunt in peace this year. Just wondering?

The areas are posted by county on the pgc website. If your hunting any state land thats within an hour of NJ or NY youll deal with people. I went to sgl205 1 time to hunt, never again. I go out by 057 260 and 207. Try finding a farm involved in the hunter access program. Thats on the pgc site also. They are private farms that allow public hunting by written permission. They are only allowed to let so many people on and some have restrictions, big game, bird,predator etc. 

6 hours ago, mattg1500 said:

The areas are posted by county on the pgc website. If your hunting any state land thats within an hour of NJ or NY youll deal with people. I went to sgl205 1 time to hunt, never again. I go out by 057 260 and 207. Try finding a farm involved in the hunter access program. Thats on the pgc site also. They are private farms that allow public hunting by written permission. They are only allowed to let so many people on and some have restrictions, big game, bird,predator etc. 

I hear you. I'm about 250 miles from philly state game land 100 in PA. Just wondering if anyone knew if they actually closed the focus areas or not. I check with the PGc tomorrow thanks 

5 hours ago, SoloFilmer said:

I hear you. I'm about 250 miles from philly state game land 100 in PA. Just wondering if anyone knew if they actually closed the focus areas or not. I check with the PGc tomorrow thanks 

How far are you from Nockamixon? Theres some nice deer in there if you get in deep. I think thats a shotgun zone tho

Edited by mattg1500

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

I hunt 3c in wayne cty (SGL 159). I never if knew the gates were ever closed.

That's were I go, and never seen when anyone was able to drive back in on the logging roads.  It's been a long time, 10+ years, since I walked in beyond a gate, though, since I have access through a farm.

There was a thread about this on another forum a while ago.  I'll try to find it, but best to just call the commission.

6 hours ago, Greybeard said:

That's were I go, and never seen when anyone was able to drive back in on the logging roads.  It's been a long time, 10+ years, since I walked in beyond a gate, though, since I have access through a farm.

There was a thread about this on another forum a while ago.  I'll try to find it, but best to just call the commission.

We are a half mile from Upper woods pond