IGNORED

Venison Jerky

BillW0323

I just sliced up 24 pounds of venison jerky meat yesterday and then I applied the High Mountain cure and seasoning. I am letting it sit until Monday and then it will go into the dehydrators. It is going to take several batches to process all of that jerky. Sorry can't post pics here.

What smoke did you use Bill?

Edited by rocky

11 minutes ago, rocky said:

I just sliced up 24 pounds of venison jerky meat yesterday and then I applied the High Mountain cure and seasoning. I am letting it sit until Monday and then it will go into the dehydrators. It is going to take several batches to process all of that jerky. Sorry can't post pics here.

What smoke did you use Bill?

I don’t use any kits. The way I do mine is I mix cracked pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, a dry rub from a play called Kundlas in PA, a nit of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. I smoke it with Weber Mesquite and Weber Apple Firespice. I go heavier on the Mesquite for the first 3 hours and then heavier on the Apple for the last 2 hours. Gives it a strong but sweet taste. 

4 minutes ago, BillW0323 said:

I don’t use any kits. The way I do mine is I mix cracked pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, a dry rub from a play called Kundlas in PA, a nit of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. I smoke it with Weber Mesquite and Weber Apple Firespice. I go heavier on the Mesquite for the first 3 hours and then heavier on the Apple for the last 2 hours. Gives it a strong but sweet taste. 

The first time I used mesquite wood in my smoker for jerky it was the last. It was too strong. Only Lunatic liked it. :whacky:

Edited by rocky

47 minutes ago, rocky said:

The first time I used mesquite wood in my smoker for jerky it was the last. It was too strong. Only Lunatic liked it. :whacky:

A lot of people think it’s “too strong”. That’s why I mix it with Apple. Helps to weaken the mesquite a bit. I’ll often times run it with apple mixed with hickory.