IGNORED

First Experience at Assunpink

RackMan23

So last weekend was my time Ever hunting Assunpink. I took my climber, and guided myself my headlamp to a spot I chosen on a map that i figured to be close to deer bedding and deep enough in the woods that it wouldn’t attract a crowd. Needless to say, as the sun peaked over the horizon I took a gander around only to spot 2 tree stands within 50 yards of my setup. I’m very thankful that they were not hunting that morning. 

That may be my last sit at Assunoink. Anyone else hunt their experience the same? 

Welcome to the site!

Tough hunt, you wouldn't think you'd run into someone else picking a spot that seems out of the way.  Just goes to show NJ public lands are pretty tough.  I rarely just jump in on the fly in the dark, I usually want to get some scouting in because knowing where other hunters are is just as important as knowing where the deer are.  Don't give up on it, just spend some time and footwork to scout things out before your next hunt.  :up:

Thanks for the advice, guys! I did some scouting when I got down out of my Stand and it seemed I just had to go back a little further to enter an unoccupied area. 

I only hunt public land in NJ, no private permissions for me. My rule of thumb  usually is scout the area first then hunt it (obviously)  but this time I was itching to get into the woods and my other spot the wind was bad for the stand. With my wife working and my 2 young children my hunting days and far and few between, so I gotta take advantage when the time is made available. 

So far, I haven’t had any bad run ins with fellow hunters, though there is usually one or two a year and they usually come around opening day and peak rut....I wonder why that is....LOL. 

None the less, I’m going to keep hammering! 

Edited by RackMan23

the key to any public is to just find an area no one else is hunting. Even if you feel like an idiot for hunting there. There are times I’m hunting so close to my truck I can hit it with an arrow but I see deer. Like others said there are so many abandoned stands on these lands. But if you do see a bunch of stands it’s a good sign not to hunt there. 

8 hours ago, RackMan23 said:

So last weekend was my time Ever hunting Assunpink. I took my climber, and guided myself my headlamp to a spot I chosen on a map that i figured to be close to deer bedding and deep enough in the woods that it wouldn’t attract a crowd. Needless to say, as the sun peaked over the horizon I took a gander around only to spot 2 tree stands within 50 yards of my setup. I’m very thankful that they were not hunting that morning. 

That may be my last sit at Assunoink. Anyone else hunt their experience the same? 

If you want the real experience, you need to be in your stand on a field edge on the 1st day of pheasant season

www.liftxrentals.com

4 hours ago, RackMan23 said:

None the less, I’m going to keep hammering! 

Welcome to the site RackMan.  :up:

That's the attitude, don't give up.  There are plenty of good places out there.  It just takes some time to find them.  Once you've found yourself a honey-hole or 2 it will all be worth it.   Best of luck.  

RackMan,

I used to hunt Assunpink many years ago before I got access to private land.  If you're interested, send me a PM with your number and I'll be more than happy to share with you the spots I used to hunt.  The only thing I'll say is that I haven't been there is a long time and have no idea if anyone has moved in or if the deer have changed their patterns.

David

Tcook. You aint lyin! Break out the flak jackets. 2 years ago my tree got peppered from a gentleman whos glasses were thicker than a mason jar bottom. Somehow didn't see my blaze orange and orange flag on the tree :bonk:

If you want the real experience, you need to be in your stand on a field edge on the 1st day of pheasant season

Edited by Lou.D

10 hours ago, Lou.D said:

Tcook. You aint lyin! Break out the flak jackets. 2 years ago my tree got peppered from a gentleman whos glasses were thicker than a mason jar bottom. Somehow didn't see my blaze orange and orange flag on the tree :bonk:

The last time I hunted there, I got shot by a pheasant hunter. 

Havent been back since. That was 28 years ago. I guess things havent changed much

www.liftxrentals.com

I used to hunt it killed alot of deer there but there is alot of stands. A good spot was always behind old ranger station or behind archery range.. on the opener of pheasant sit by the creek and u will see an insane amount of deer. Pm me if u want info i hunted there over 20 years b4 like tcook getting shot by a pheasant hunter

Theres more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than the surness of a gun!The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind!