IGNORED

Deciding when it's time

The things mentioned below are worth remembering and considering throughout your entire time with your companion because it goes very fast.

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have  your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice  when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I  choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my     heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

Take a moment today to thank God for your dogs. Enjoy and take good care of them.

Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without them.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

One of the hardest decisions to make OC, I feel you pain.  From my experience, if you are not sure, it's not time yet.  When it's time there will be now doubt.  So sorry for you and your girl.  

I have to agree Rusty, my German Shepard had double hip displaysia and an auto immune disease. I held on longer then some thought I should, but when the time came I knew it. Needless to say it was much harder then I imagined. Three years later I’m not ready for another dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, this is one part of being a responsible dog owner. One thing more be careful of unscrupulous Vets that want you to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a 13 year old dog. If you feel the dog has no quality of life left, then put him down.

Edited by Fishman

Thanks for all of the advice.  I have an appointment scheduled for Saturday morning. My mom sent me a picture of her from a few years ago, and that also show me how sick looking she is today compared to back then.   Here she is in her prime. 

37ABC149-D419-4ECB-B957-E0F8D11757CD.thumb.jpeg.23fd96611eb52201f7ad70aadc48cf4a.jpeg
B908864E-CA6A-495D-9D99-712431EAADD0.thumb.jpeg.35a6de3f50cedec51fd0223dff93675f.jpeg
What a beautiful dog you have there. I'll say a prayer for both of you.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss.

A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. 

If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I have a 13 year old German shepherd, she’s mostly def going blind trouble walking, lots of lumps but she loves sleeping next to us and she loves food. She’s the old girl and we cater to her I’m hoping she goes in her sleep one day. 

If they’re not in pain, still eating and drinking and going to the bathroom I think there is a more time to be had but only you and the dog know when it’s time.

one of the hardest things I ever had to do was put down my hound dog a few years ago at a younger age of 8 due to bladder cancer. The vet said as soon as she stops urinating then it’s time. She took predisone and had no idea anything was wrong. A few months after being diagnosed and watching her go to the bathroom everyday one morning she went out tried to go and nothing came out later that afternoon she still couldn’t go and we had the vet come to our house and put her down as we held her.

best of luck it’s difficult 

Had to put my lab down 2 winters back. I was contemplating with the decision for several months. After coming home to him spread eagle in his own urine and crap it was time. 

I had my mothers horse vet come to the house. I'm so glad I had it done that way. We all sat around him as he passed peacefully on his own bed. Kept him in the chest freezer until the ground thawed and now he rests out back.

Best of luck. Feel for you. 

Edited by kanigie

Thanks guys. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. My son gave her a hug tonight and her teeth chattered. If you never heard a dog do that, it is a very odd sound. I googled it after it happened and apparently it is a sign of major pain. Maybe that was the sign I was looking for. Either way we will talk with our vet tomorrow. In the meantime she is getting some good treats. 

9 hours ago, OCbowhunter said:

Thanks guys. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. My son gave her a hug tonight and her teeth chattered. If you never heard a dog do that, it is a very odd sound. I googled it after it happened and apparently it is a sign of major pain. Maybe that was the sign I was looking for. Either way we will talk with our vet tomorrow. In the meantime she is getting some good treats. 

Was one of the hardest things in the world to do for me at the time. I chose to give my Golden Retriever named Sadie the injection to put her down when I was in High school. She slowly relaxed and I knew at that moment she was no longer in pain.  God bless. 

Edited by LPJR