IGNORED

What is it about for you?

LPJR

Last night, we had the opportunity to do a live hunt at the annual deer cull hunt managed by a member on here. I have to say, anticipation of the hunt was very high, as this is a hunt I look forward to each year.  But the amount of fun we had yesterday, between the preseason setting up, to getting together afterwards to share in another guys harvest, brings me to this....What is is about for you when it comes to deer season? 

Lots of guys, including me, are holding out for that "one" this bow season. I am sure everyone has felt this "pressure" which is sometimes a good feeling. To me, when it begins to take over instead of me enjoying the season is when I take a step back and assess. Point I am making, some/most of the very best hunts I have had have been with my kids, family or other friends. Killing a deer is secondary for me. The memories made during these special or different hunts are much longer lasting than others in my opinion. Last year on the gun Youth season opening day, my son passed up a beautiful 6 pointer standing at 18 yards, totally unaware we were anywhere near him. Seeing the buck a year later is something very cool to me. After showing my son the pic, he looks at me and says " I am glad I passed him. He needs another year even now..." I was floored, shocked, and thrilled all at the same time.

Looking forward to getting out with my son in the next 2 weeks when my schedule allows, and the anticipation of getting out with him is the part of the season that I love the most. 

So, my point is this. Although I would love to shoot the buck of my dreams as many others on here have done so, I love the camraderie , anticipation, and sharing hunts (successful or not) with family and good friends the most.

So, what is deer season all about for you? 

Well if my son hunted and my dad still could - I would feel differently. I have several buddies I will hunt with including Ohio, but today with cell phones, a hunt with my closest buddies is really no different than a live hunt on NJW&W. I feel we are a strong community here and due to modern technology, I can be hunting right along with Buck154 - 2 hours away at the same time, or 50 other guys and gals.  Thinking back to my old club days on Hyper Humus 1,500 acres of private land with my dad, and some other members.  We would spread out and bow hunt with walkie talkies!   LOL    Smart phones have really changed things up - possibly for the better.  I just love bowhunting, that earna-buck doe challenge is fun, and then trying to get a mature buck afterward.  The rut can be amazing and frustrating at the same time - hoping to see some great rut action this year in NJ - don't think I can swing Ohio with my dad's health but if I can - will be out there with a good hunting buddy. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

4 hours ago, LPJR said:

Last night, we had the opportunity to do a live hunt at the annual deer cull hunt managed by a member on here. I have to say, anticipation of the hunt was very high, as this is a hunt I look forward to each year.  But the amount of fun we had yesterday, between the preseason setting up, to getting together afterwards to share in another guys harvest, brings me to this....What is is about for you when it comes to deer season? 

Lots of guys, including me, are holding out for that "one" this bow season. I am sure everyone has felt this "pressure" which is sometimes a good feeling. To me, when it begins to take over instead of me enjoying the season is when I take a step back and assess. Point I am making, some/most of the very best hunts I have had have been with my kids, family or other friends. Killing a deer is secondary for me. The memories made during these special or different hunts are much longer lasting than others in my opinion. Last year on the gun Youth season opening day, my son passed up a beautiful 6 pointer standing at 18 yards, totally unaware we were anywhere near him. Seeing the buck a year later is something very cool to me. After showing my son the pic, he looks at me and says " I am glad I passed him. He needs another year even now..." I was floored, shocked, and thrilled all at the same time.

Looking forward to getting out with my son in the next 2 weeks when my schedule allows, and the anticipation of getting out with him is the part of the season that I love the most. 

So, my point is this. Although I would love to shoot the buck of my dreams as many others on here have done so, I love the camraderie , anticipation, and sharing hunts (successful or not) with family and good friends the most.

So, what is deer season all about for you? 

For me, it's about everything you wrote, plus some self reflection. I do my best thinking in the shower, and in the treestand. My mind clears out, and my soul is at ease. I get something from hunting that I can't describe. For most on this site, hunting isn't just something we do, its who we are

It doesn't hold nearly the excitement for me that it used to. I have no more room in my house for mounts, and I don't have the time (or drive) to get involved with trail cameras, moving stands around, planting food plots, etc. Most nights at dinner time it's just me & Mrs. Putz at home, and she's not a big fan of deer meat.

So for me, it's about getting out there at prime time, killing a couple deer (don't really care much if I kill bucks or does), and making some jerky & sausage. Then getting back to fishing, small game, and turkey hunting with my dog. :fudd:

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

17 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I find it much more rewarding to help someone else shoot a deer than to shoot one myself.  But I'm old and have shot my share of deer, so it's just a natural progression.  

For some people. Hopefully more and more.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

One will never be closer to God than to watch the sun come up and the woods come alive. I hunt to relax and it is always better when my kids are with me

"Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better".  Albert Einstein

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Yeah for me I love to get trail cam pictures of a buck and then watch him grow for a year or 3 then being able to take that same buck in archery season. My son don't hunt any more so now with cell phones as Jack said it's like having all your friends there. Love the live hunts on here too. Hey if I screw up cause I have my phone out texting or videoing the deer and miss my chance, then no big deal. Will mean I can spend more time in the tree and see a lot of cools things.

I do love shooting a good buck every year but I would rather find their shed antlers cause then they can still grow more. 

For me, it soothes my body and my mind.  I meditate regularly, but being in nature takes that up a notch. 

It's the memories. It reminds me of hunting trips with my father and uncle, and the years where my little brother and best friend were there with us.  My grandfather and cousin  came sometimes as well.  

It connects me to my dad, who died 5 years ago.  Every time I have a bow or gun in my hand or see a deer, I feel like he's right there with me.  

I hunt because I'm a meat eater.  I drop a couple of does for the freezer every year.  I haven't killed a buck in 6-7 years now because I haven't had a clear shot at a mature one.  I like to let the younger ones go now.  

I look forward to having my daughter in the woods with me as soon as she is able to.  Probably next year, when she is 5, I'll set a blind or two and bring her with me. She already loves to shoot her bows and is obsessed with "yummy yummy deer meat."  I get choked up just thinking about having here there with me and the day she gets her first deer.  Bringing that back full circle to how happy my dad was when I got my first deer.  I never understood that until after my dad died and then my daughter was born.  She never knew him, and this will be a way to connect her back to him.

I hunt because I love to.  I love the woods. I love watching the world wake up.  My heart still pounds every time I hear a twig snap or I see a deer.  

Edited by not on the rug

I am relatively new to the game.  4 seasons in and only 1 doe a season.  No bucks for me yet.  Last couple seasons I didn't get out much because my work would be in shut down october and November.  ( Over time). New job holds thier shut downs in January.  Love that.  I have taking advantage of it. Got two stands set up in August.  New spot on state land and my original spot on wma that this year I put up a double ladder stand.  My daughter is 8 and wants to go.  

I love being in the woods.  I do get fustrated at times because I am looking for that first buck. I have passed on alot of Doe's waiting for a buck.  Since the beginning I have been doing and learning on my own. Lots of videos and reading.  My love of hunting also corresponds with the decline of good fishing in the Delaware Bay...  Right now Id rather hunt than fish.  However it doesn't mean I won't fish. 

This Sunday I am bringing my daughter out for her first  sit.  I haven't hunted this spot yet this year but been baiting since August.  I have a small 8 on camara during shooting hours.  But I am used to just seeing does.  She already said she is fine with whatever we get.  She has been baiting with me and watching the hunting shows.  Spent a good chunk of change on youth camo, boots and saftey harness.  All of which will be handed down to my son when is her age.

It will be nice having company out there.

its about all the good that the good Lord has given us.i love just being out and seeing all those things that others dream about.i have hunted with my two sons since they were three or four years old and now they are twenty eight and twenty six.we still hunt together and help one another.its great to see how far they have come and what they have learned.hunting is a great teacher of life and of yourself.

for me it's just getting out and enjoying nature be it alone in a tree or those special times with family and friends doing some drives,  getting some meat for the table is a bonus, now its taking my seven year old out to sit in the blind so he can see what its all about. everyone has there own reasons why and how they hunt though they may be different none are wrong , most. hunt    how they are raised and taught to hunt. in the end for most of us it's all about family tradition...