IGNORED

NJ hunters be like

MZ7Extreme

That's the beauty of hunting. To each his own, hunt how and what you want your way. That being said , for me, quality over quantity. I get a kick out of guys who brag to me they shot 11 deer etc. Hey whatever floats your boat. I could take a deer for every day of the season if I choose. You have to remember, each one of us is in there own stage in the hunting cycle, shooter, etc. So do your thing, be safe and good hunting to you gentlemen.

"Natures law of tooth and claw is far crueler then any death I could ever bestow" - Fred Bear

4 hours ago, OneShot1Kill said:

That's the beauty of hunting. To each his own, hunt how and what you want your way. That being said , for me, quality over quantity. I get a kick out of guys who brag to me they shot 11 deer etc. Hey whatever floats your boat. I could take a deer for every day of the season if I choose. You have to remember, each one of us is in there own stage in the hunting cycle, shooter, etc. So do your thing, be safe and good hunting to you gentlemen.

Agreed. Funny, the racks I have in the garage from when I was younger would not even cause me to pick the bow up while on stand now....I have passed up several young 8 pointers this season alone. When I showed the pics to my son and asked what he thought, he said "they need a couple more years." At his young age, I am impressed how he has chosen to be selective so far. A 1.5 year old 6 pointer was 18 yards away from us in the double ladder on Opening day of youth gun last November. He didn't even slide the safety off and we went home with no shot taken that morning. I have the exact buck on camera this year, bigger and wider. It is nice to see them grow and mature. The bucks as well as kids! 

Edited by LPJR

31 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Won't be long before hunting 5-6 years on public land before seeing a buck will be the norm

That's why you should have more than just one spot. Killed a 5 y/o 13 pt buck off of public last year. Almost had another 3 y/o 7 point the same year. And almost had 3 y/o six point this year already. All on different pieces of public land. You can't wait for the bucks to come to you; you have to go find the bucks you are looking for.

14 hours ago, ThatsABingo said:

That's why you should have more than just one spot. Killed a 5 y/o 13 pt buck off of public last year. Almost had another 3 y/o 7 point the same year. And almost had 3 y/o six point this year already. All on different pieces of public land. You can't wait for the bucks to come to you; you have to go find the bucks you are looking for.

Believe me, I hunt many spots. Rarely will I go to the same place twice in a row. Sometimes only once or twice a year. Every place is getting worse. Bucks may be there between houses.  I don't use bait to bring them out. Lucky to see a 3 year old being stupid during the rut around here. 

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Believe me, I hunt many spots. Rarely will I go to the same place twice in a row. Sometimes only once or twice a year. Every place is getting worse. Bucks may be there between houses.  I don't use bait to bring them out. Lucky to see a 3 year old being stupid during the rut around here. 

I gotcha. Hunting always varies from place to place. Im the opposite. I have seen an upward trend in the areas I hunt.

3 hours ago, ThatsABingo said:

I gotcha. Hunting always varies from place to place. Im the opposite. I have seen an upward trend in the areas I hunt.

I had a run 8-10 years ago with 2 P&Y and other nice bucks, but that was because the private land next to it was a sanctuary.  Somebody else bought the property, and it sounded like WW3 on it that year.  Killed that area.  That happens a lot when a spot gets good.  Orange army finds out, and swamp the place that year or the next.

When I first started deer hunting , there was archery season which was basically the month of Oct. ( no peak rut ) And shotgun which was one week long and the following Wednesday was doe DAY. Everyone hunted that week. The deer had nowhere to go. If a buck lived to be 2. 1/2 years old he was lucky. Now you can hunt 6 months worth of weekends (sunday now included). So no one has to take off of work for buck week and the deer have room to evade the fewer hunters