IGNORED

Acorns?

Pathman

Hey all, wondering what the Acorn crop looks like in different areas of the state?

My areas in south central Somerset, and western Mercer Counties, have very little acorn production this season, last season was very abundant crop in both locations.

Maybe you can tell us how the mast crop in your area looks this season. Be as specific/or not, as you care to. I’d like to determine if individual properties within the same general area have different rate of production. 

South western Sussex County (z5, and z2) - only chestnut oaks produced good last year, and a few whites, almost no reds. 

This year - banner year for Whites, like best I have seen in long time.  Good year for reds and chestnuts too. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

40 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

White oak acorns are what the deer like. I don't get excited seeing red oak acorns.

By November the white oak acorns have germinated and the deer switch to the reds.  Don't overlook a good red oak in December and January.  

WOw! Surprising results so far. The description of placing your foot down on 10 acorns was how my areas were last season, this season so far I haven’t seen any! 

Is the cyclic nature of mast production typically extreme from one year to the next?

4 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Is the cyclic nature of mast production typically extreme from one year to the next?

It depends on the weather conditions in your area when the oaks pollinated.  The white oak acorns grow in 1 year, so it was based on this past spring.  Red oak acorns take 2 years to grow so it was based on the weather last year.  

Edited by Rusty